Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

temperature motor
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Oberfranke
See User information
Hi, I suspect that the engine of my 1936 One-Twenty is not warm enough. The thermostat opens at about 160 ? F. Here I add a photo. This is the temperature display for a longer ride.
greetings
Gerd

Attach file:

jpg  (158.68 KB)
138128_57b4a042e648f.jpg 1751X1313 px

Posted on: 2016/8/17 12:34
 Top  Print   

Re: temperature motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Either your dash gauge is reading incorrectly or the thermostat is not opening at the point you think it is. Put a thermometer in the top tank to see what the water temp really is.

Posted on: 2016/8/17 13:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I always install an accurate modern gauge, run the car for a few months to understand the temperature ranges, cold weather, hot weather, traffic, high speed, etc., Then, and only then, do I rely on the factory gauge, and correlate known temperature running ranges to what is indicated on the factory gauge.

What did you decide about overdrive?

Posted on: 2016/8/17 14:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
WOW, this is unusual, most people complain about running too HOT, now this. What is the Temperature in Germany now?
Wes

Posted on: 2016/8/17 14:18
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Oberfranke
See User information
We have a very eventful summer this year. But currently about 70 ? F.
I will install a thermometer for oil temperature. Seeking currently an oil-dipstick thermometer.
@ Flackmaster: I probably get a R9 overdrive in autumn.
Gerd

Posted on: 2016/8/17 15:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Engine oil temp gauge might be useful in a high performance/racing engine, but certainly in a low speed, low horsepower engine used for casual driving. And in any engine that is running cool, never.

Posted on: 2016/8/17 16:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
HI
I am new to the Packard world but I might have some research that might be of help:
Had a problem with my 36 120 burping out coolant after you shut it off. People here said I should replace the thermostat. Got a new thermostat. The one I pulled out was 180 degrees, the one that was going in was 160 degrees. My ford buddy said that the 160 was standard in the 1930"s. When they were using alcohol as antifreeze, the temperature was kept to 160 degrees, at 180 it would evaporate all the alcohol off and you would have to keep adding alcohol to keep the coolant from freezing. Point is, that seems like good temp and I am going to go with in mine
Hope that helps
Will

Posted on: 2016/8/22 10:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your buddy is right about 160? F. stats when using methanol (alcohol) antifreeze.

Posted on: 2016/8/22 10:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
But is running permanent type anti-freeze 180 degree thermostat is the one to use. The engine runs more efficiently at 180 and 180 is a long way from 225+ the boiling point of water/antifreeze mix.

A 180 thermostat will not cause an engine to have hot spots and boil after it is shut off, usually poor flow in some spots caused by rust sediment is the culprit.

Posted on: 2016/8/22 11:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
Only put 20 miles on it, but I can not tell the difference between the 180 and the 160. It might get better fuel mileage with the 180, but at 2,000 miles a year, it is not a factor.
I have had better luck with performance, with guy that set my distributer up on a machine. He made sure that it was perfect, and the advance was perfect. It purs like a kitten and with the overdrive runs the parkway at 65 with no effort
All the Luck with yours
W

Posted on: 2016/8/22 12:29
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved