Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 157

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

38 V12 waterpump
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I have in a 38 Twelve that needs its waterpump serviced--packing nut is seized etc.

I am horrified to see that I will have to remove the front of the car to get the water pump out. Is that correct? This is a dismal proposition and any advice would be appreciated. You can hardly imagine how little I want to undertake this job...

Posted on: 2016/8/22 8:56
 Top  Print 

Re: 38 V12 waterpump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Ross:

The regular on here who has a '38 Twelve is BDC, maybe he'll have an answer. In the interim I've contacted some folks who have 38/39 Twelves, hopefully one or more of them will have some useful information.

Update: Sorry Ross, I've spoken to a couple more 38/39 Twelve owners but no useful info, none of them have required water pump service. I'll keep at it.

Posted on: 2016/8/22 10:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Thanks so much for your efforts ,Owen, I really do appreciate that. I was so demoralized that I worked on rebuilding an Ultramatic instead. Much easier. OK, tomorrow I will gird my loins and begin the onerous task.

Posted on: 2016/8/22 18:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Ross,
If you want to keep your loins ungirthed a little longer, I can send you a few twin ultramatics 😀😄😳😉

Posted on: 2016/8/22 20:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello Ross, I have a 38 Twelve and I had a look at the water pump installation. I have not removed my water pump but it would be scandalous to have to pull the front clip etc to remove it. I would have imagined that it would be as for a 37 or 38 Super Eight where there appears to be no room, but once you remove the fan blades and undo the water pump mounting bolts the pump has sufficient room, with the narrow impeller, to be removed from the front. We recently had a 37 Super with a broken water pump shaft and it was difficult to diagnose but came out fine. I would be extremely surprised and disappointed if it did not remove as per the Super Eights. There looks to be enough room to achieve this. Good Luck Peter Toet

Posted on: 2016/8/23 2:03
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Thanks, Peter. I agree it is scandalous and it took quite a while for me to suspend disbelief: The shaft of the pump extends slightly beyond the fan, thus within 5/8" of the radiator or so. Plus, the pump is mounted on studs so I must slide it forward a long way. Perhaps I can get the studs to come out....

Posted on: 2016/8/23 5:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Sorry O_D, but I don't have a 38 V12. I have a 39 V12 but the front clip is off for as long as I have it, and I never had to take the water pump off. I know a guy here that did some extensive work on a 37 v12 I'll ask him today.

Posted on: 2016/8/23 7:26
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hey BDC, sorry I misidentified your Twelve but I'm sure you will forgive me - except for the vehicle and motor numbers and a bit of paint on the shutters the 38 and 39 Twelve are just about identical so I sort of lump them together when thinking about their features.

Were you aware that perhaps half of the 39 Twelve bodies were leftovers from expected but unfulfilled 38 production?

I've exhausted all my 38/39 Twelve contacts and still can't get an answer for Ross.

Posted on: 2016/8/23 11:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
I would suggest that you speak to one of the restoration shops that specialize in Packard Automobiles. One would be Custom Auto in Santa Ana, California. Robert Escalente is the owner and the number is 714-543-2980. Ernie, caretaker of the 1949 288 Deluxe 'Miss Prudence'.

Posted on: 2016/8/23 11:40
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ernie, I considered that but at the time of Ross' inquiry they were all or mostly all at Pebble Beach.

Posted on: 2016/8/23 11:48
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved