Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
84 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 82

Gary Kulp, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Borg clock conversion?
Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Hi, I was wondering if anyone converted their clock to quartz movement and if they are happy with it? If so, could you recommend who did the conversion? I have a Borg in my '39 Super 8 ( I know, I know - resistance is futile) and would like to change over. Thanks!

Steve

Posted on: 2016/9/13 12:52
 Top  Print   

Re: Borg clock conversion?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I had it done in my 56 and the conversion worked well for several years. Eventually it did fail. I am not sure of a reason but speculate it was due to dried lube or a warped plastic gear inside the works. It would try but seemed to have a problem moving the hands for more than a few minutes and eventually stalled. Since the conversion work had been done I was able to replace that first unit with a do it yourself kit and all was fine again.

Be aware just because it is a Borg clock not all are easy conversions. Some of the places that do conversions will list years they work on and not do others or want more money for some clocks. Reason is some of the clocks need extra machine work to add a gear or change the location of the gear train between the old set knob and the new works. The 56 Packard Borg clock required such a change and not all the places that do conversions want to or can do that work.

If you are into judging some of the conversions are noticeable. If the clock has a second hand most of the conversions make a continuous smooth motion instead of the intermittent jump the wind up clocks make.

It has been quite some years since I had the conversion made -- before the internet -- but I believe it was done by Instrument Services. I know the DIY kit I replaced the first unit with a few years ago came from them.https://www.clocksandgauges.com

Posted on: 2016/9/13 13:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I had the Borg clock in one of my 1965 Cadillacs converted which was done by Borg themselves but I understand that the only way now is to use a third-party service. The one I had done had such a good job that even the plastic face cover looked new and the chrome was polished. It worked well for decades and was still working when I sold the car even though it had sat with its own ecosystem inside due to a leaky back window most of those years. It looked absolutely identical to the original but, as pointed out, the second hand swept around smoothly rather than clicking through the seconds.

Posted on: 2016/9/13 13:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Howard, thanks for you reply since you reminded me it was Instrument Services who I used for my '54 Caribbean clock, which has been ticking with no problems for 20 years now! Thank you too Don!

Steve

Posted on: 2016/9/16 17:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
" You will service us"

Posted on: 2016/9/16 17:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved