Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 158

Packard Don, Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 Packard 110 - Lubrication Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
Doing my first lube job and encountered three issues:

1. The front left knuckle pin -- it won't accept any grease. I removed the zerk and cleaned it and grease pushes through just fine but when reinstalled, it won't take any grease at all. Does this mean it is full or has the old grease solidified in there (it has been at least 4 years since it was looked it)? What is the solution?

On the opposite knuckle pin, I filled with grease until it squeezed out around the joint like all the other lube points. Is it possible this is a "sealed" joint and by overfilling it I broke something (which explains why the opposite side won't take any grease -- as it may be "full"?)

2. What is to be done with the universal joint? It appears there is some kind of leather pouch around one end and it doesn't look like it has ever received any kind of service. Any advice on maintaining the driveshaft u-joints safely is much appreciated.

3. The lube diagram shows that the starter needs some kind of oil. What is the right kind, where do you put it and how much?

Thank you all!

Posted on: 2016/9/16 19:43
 Top  Print 

Re: 1941 Packard 110 - Lubrication Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information

Posted on: 2016/9/16 20:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
There is no such thing as "full", you could pump 5 lbs of grease THROUGH the king pin. It is a flow through design.
Most likely the grease has hardened, the easiest way to remedy is to heat with a blow torch which will soften the grease.

Posted on: 2016/9/16 22:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
Thank you both very much! I must be thinking about modern cars that have "sealed" bearing surfaces that could be potentially overfilled.

Posted on: 2016/9/16 23:26
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved