Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Vacuum Tank
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day Men, I've come across an issue that has me stumped and thought someone might have an answer for me. Yesterday while fitting new vac hoses, the hose pipe on the vac tank came loose. After removing the tank, and a right pain in the rear end that job is, I started cleaning everything prior to resoldering and was surprised to find a large quantity of oil in the tank, maybe up to an inch or so on the bottom. Now my question is, where in the bloody hell would that oil come from? Is that something purposely put in the tank for some specific reason that I can't think of? Regards, John

Posted on: 2016/9/19 5:15
 Top  Print 

Re: Vacuum Tank
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Are you sure it isn't brake fluid??

Posted on: 2016/9/19 7:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
It's certainly possible, but it would have had to have been in there a fair while. I installed a reco'd BTV about 6.5 years ago because the one in the car lost all boost (hard pedal). I arranged for the reco BTV to be sent to me by the previous owner of the car and still have the failed one. I've not lost any brake fluid since installing the replacement and checked the reservoir two days ago and there was still plenty in there. I still have some of the old oil/fluid so I'll have another look at it tomorrow. I gather from your question Fred that it's possible for brake fluid to find its way into the vac tank. Cheers, John

Posted on: 2016/9/20 3:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I've never encountered it and have removed numerous vacuum tanks when parting out Packards. When a BTV fails brake fluid is often sucked into the vacuum system while there is no path for engine oil to do so, thus my "guess".

Posted on: 2016/9/20 6:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
I've had a look at the substance poured out of the vac tank but I can't determine for certain what it is. Unfortunately I'd put it in the motor oil drain pan and it had mixed somewhat with a little residual sump oil. I can say it is of a light consistency and brown in colour, which does suggest to me it could well have started out life as brake fluid. Apart from mixing with a very small amount of sump oil, it is possible that it also has mixed with surface rust inside the vac tank, assuming that rust does actually exist in there.

Based on Fred's guesswork, I'm now thinking that it probably is old brake fluid which has found its way into the tank when the old BTV gave up the ghost, and has lived comfortably in there for the last 6.5 years. It's been cleaned out now and the tank resoldered and refitted. Cheers, John

Posted on: 2016/9/21 6:16
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved