Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
46 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 42

Rscott77x, 37Blanche, humanpotatohybrid, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'34 Twelve Sport Coupe - The Old Motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

This The Old Motor article features the '34 Twelve Sport Coupe as well as a patent drawings filing by Frank C. Best for an integrated bumper design assigned to Packard.

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=160620

Integrated bumpers might well have shown up on Packards had they exploited this patent.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/10/16 7:39
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Re: '34 Twelve Sport Coupe - The Old Motor
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Frank Best was one of Packard's more prolific inventors as measured by his patent activity; my analysis shows 67 patents by Best in the 1930s and 40s which put him at #8 in the list of total patents by a Packard employee.

Posted on: 2016/10/16 8:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is an interesting car but to my untrained eye it looks too short and stubby with the back so sloping and abruptly cut off behind the wheels. After the door hinges it just seems out of proportion for such a long hood and fenders. Was that ever a production car and how well did it sell?

Posted on: 2016/10/16 13:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I believe 4 examples were made, certainly not a "production" car, more like a cataloged custom. The design did not begin with Packard or Lebaron, it's a near identical copy of a big Mercedes custom

Posted on: 2016/10/16 14:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The Mercedes that may well have been the inspiration for the Sport Coupe is the 500K Autobahn Kurier.

Actually I don't think the Sport Coupe was a cataloged custom, at least it does not appear in the 11th Series Custom Car Program catalog. The 1934 LeBaron Runabout Speedster (style 275) was built in-house by Packard's Custom Body Division on a new chassis, the 1106 which was a 12-cylinder chassis with a 135" wheelbase, and is the only model listed for this chassis. In December 1933 Packard's board approved three 1106 chassis to be mounted with special Sport Coupe bodies built by Packard. Perhaps a 4th was later produced, I'm not certain about whether the total was just the first 3 or another was added later.

Posted on: 2016/10/17 8:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Four were built. All four exist, although one was brought back from total fire destruction, which is well documented. One was updated by Packard with 1935 features and padded top, with rear quarter window removed.

Posted on: 2016/10/18 6:50
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
The Mercedes that may well have been the inspiration for the Sport Coupe is the 500K Autobahn Kurier...

Click to see original Image in a new window

1934 Mercedes Autobahnkurier, V8, Roots-type supercharger, aluminium Body

Click to see original Image in a new window

source: mercedes-benz-passion.com

Attach file:

jpg  (134.83 KB)
757_5e6a504bcde70.jpg 1314X800 px

jpg  (207.03 KB)
757_5e6a5725e69f0.jpg 868X1920 px

Posted on: 2020/3/12 10:07
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved