Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
72 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 69

CCR, 37Blanche, Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55 transmission fluid
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Alvin14
See User information
My recently purchased 55 400 is down about a quart of trans fluid. What is the correct fluid to use?
Thanks for all/any reply.

Posted on: 2016/10/22 16:59
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 transmission fluid
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Folks have reported using just about every type on the market without ill consequences. Closest to the original and NLA Type A is Type F.

Posted on: 2016/10/22 17:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The closest modern fluid to the original type A is the Ford type F but that is starting to be obsoleted too. Some specialty places now have a "modern" type A but don't know if anyone has used it. If your car still has the original cork faced linings on the bands and clutches I would stick with F because the friction characteristics are closer to the old stuff with a slightly harsher and quicker grab so less slip and wear on the cork faces. The Dexron fluids provide a bit more of a smooth engagement at the expense of some slippage but has been used with no ill effects.

Some say the B&M Trick shift is even better still but that is more expensive than type F and the jury is still out on whether it is that much better.

Unless you are going to drain and refill, the more important question is what was put in there over the years. Don't believe type A has been available since sometime in the 60 or 70s so hard to say what the previous owner might have used.

Posted on: 2016/10/22 17:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I am using wal mart type F..

Posted on: 2016/10/22 17:30
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Dexron-Mercon from Fred's dept store. Been using it about 15 to 16 years and nearly 22K miles in my 56 Exec. NO PROBLEMS!!!! It also seems to reduce the Direct Drive clutch groan greatly. The clutch groan was real bad for the first 2 or 3 years and 5K miles with probably Type F. But i'm not real sure what the previous owner used. He had the car from about 1992 thru late 1997 when i bought it.

Posted on: 2016/10/22 20:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
When i first got the car i had to add fluid regularly. It has always leaked. At that time in the 1997 - 2000 year range i just added Dexron II that i had laying around from probably the early 1980's.

Later on about 2001 or so i drained and filled with the Dexron-Mercon.

Posted on: 2016/10/22 20:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved