Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 107

humanpotatohybrid, kevinpackard, pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ultramatic Transmission Pan Substitution
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54Les
See User information
Can a Gearstart transmission pan be used on an Ultramatic transmission so that the fluid can be checked with a dipstick?

Posted on: 2016/10/23 7:31
 Top  Print 

Re: Ultramatic Transmission Pan Substitution
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I posed that question a while back, the answer was no.
They don't want to make it to easy to check the fluid....LOL

Posted on: 2016/10/23 8:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I still think it should be relatively easy to adapt a modern universal dipstick and tube to the original Ultras. There are several different assys that looks like they could work. The illustration is one by Moroso and sold by Summit but there are several others that are similar with varying transmission ends. Also many stiff metal tube replacements for GM trans are available that would look more appropriate but would be harder to work with and adapt.

I believe the existing short fill tube and dipstick are only pressed into the Ultra case in a similar fashion to the engine oil filler tube. There should be no shortage of old Ultras where a second tube and cap assy could be sourced for fabrication purposes. Could be wrong but I don't remember there being any special treatment on the tube at the transmission end. The second cap would have the original dipstick removed and a hole drilled for the new dipstick tube. Depending on the type of tube mount it could be a simple hole where a nut tightens against O rings to hold the new dipstick tube or it might need to have a short smaller diameter tube or bushing brazed onto the cap so the new assy could push down inside the small tube or thread into the bushing. Once the inner gasket on the cap is ensured to be intact, when the cap is tightened to the tube there should be no leakage.

Irregardless of the mount method, using the original tube and dipstick the transmission is verified to have a specific level. The new dipstick could be tried and adjusted. Some of the universal dipsticks just need to have new fill marks made but If needed, the second Ultra tube could be shortened to make the new dipstick read properly when it is seated into the case. The old tube and cap could then be put on the shelf for contingencies.

With this method, in the unlikely event the new universal tube is inadequate or couldn't be used to fill the trans, the cap with new dipstick tube attached could still be removed and trans filled the old way. That wouldn't be possible if the stiff metal GM tube was used but with the stiff tube you shouldn't need to remove the cap either.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.12 KB)
209_580cc33cc266a.jpg 800X534 px

Posted on: 2016/10/23 9:06
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
That project is on my list for this winter already, I've been looking at the same pix that Howard shows for ideas. There are also (well, should be and I'll find them) universal flexible dipsticks that would fit in a custom-formed tube mated with a modified cap as Howard describes.

I already fill my transmission through the vent fitting using the access hole in the tunnel, easier than crawling under the car and pumping fluid in. That way you don't have to worry about having a large enough tube to also use as a filler port. Although I think newer transmissions did away with that port, from pix I've seen? If I can fix my leaking seal at the actuating lever (another winter project) perhaps I won't need to add fluid anymore anyway. Dare to dream.

Posted on: 2016/10/23 11:25
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54Les
See User information
Thanx for the quick replies. That is a very clever solution to the problem for dipstick access. Also for the fill thru the vent. I'll pass this on to the mechanic who is working on the '54. Les

Posted on: 2016/10/23 11:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Although I think newer transmissions did away with that port, from pix I've seen?

Correct. Most Twin Ultras have a very small covered vent which screws into a pipe fitting on the side of the case. There was a bulletin in 56 suggesting a relocation of the vent to the top of the tail housing if certain modes of operation (think lead foot) resulted in fluid being thrown out of the side vent. There is no access hole in the floor of V8s to access a vent even if there was one on the top.

Posted on: 2016/10/23 14:12
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Question about 56 T-Ultra dip sitck tube:

How is the dip stick tube FITTING attached to the T-Ultra oil pan???

See pics.

It does not appear to be spot welded nor sweat soldered nor soldered nor welded on in any way.

Attach file:

jpg  (278.60 KB)
35_58e44be6caca1.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (218.58 KB)
35_58e44c1a786d7.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/4/4 20:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Won't say for certain but I can think of two ways. In one it might be brazed with a method where they put the pan over a jig with a locating pin, apply a fitting which has a brazing paste on the mating surface and then using a press place the two together. The jig and press are heated to melt the paste brazing them together. With proper application of the paste you would not get any visible runout as it would all be under the fitting.

Another method is it could be done with the fixture actually having jaws on each side which would be part of a spot welder like apparatus. When the two came together and pushed the fitting against the pan it would actually melt them together and not leave any visible evidence. That method could also use the paste and less power to just heat rather than melt. That would be called resistance brazing rather than spot welding.

Posted on: 2017/4/4 21:11
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If i had a scrap pan i would cut it apart to take a look.
I am suspicous that most of the T-Ultra leaks are due to some part of the filler tube and the lug 'spot welded" to the pan.

Mine has leaked for 20 years and i finally got tired of it leaking enuf to look into it closer.

In reference to the original post of this thread i was wondering if the 55-56 filler tube could be adapted to the older Ultramatics.

I'm not impressed with Packards eng'ring on this part of the car.

Posted on: 2017/4/5 6:56
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved