Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 141

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard Generator 1955 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Where should the needle on the dashboard gauge for the generator be? At 1/2 or more like 3/4 or above. If my generator is weak where can I get a rebuild kit for it.

Posted on: 2016/11/3 2:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Generator 1955 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
After a fairly short period of driving after a start the needle should be right in the middle or just slightly to the charge side. Right after a start or other heavy electrical drain the needle should show perhaps halfway up the charge side while he engine is revving. At a slow idle the needle will show a discharge.

Posted on: 2016/11/3 5:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
NAPA carries the brush set and bearing/bushing as individual items. But the generator may need a more comprehensive service, armature cleaned and perhaps the commutator lathe-cut and the mica undercut, etc. If it's not performing as Ross indicated, perhaps you should have it serviced by a generator/alternator shop. And also consider that the generator regulator, also available at NAPA, may be suspect.

Posted on: 2016/11/3 8:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
If your not into original. Go to auto zone get a 1 wire alternator. Lifetime replacement.

You will need a bracket. I like mine. Needle is always on right side dot with lights on in gear.

Posted on: 2016/11/3 12:11
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Delco upper left. Right KEM. Bottom carquest.

Carquest. The resistors are marked 60 and 75.

Are those the problem. Cause windings don't look burned.

Kem i had on my engine. Till charging quit.

Delco is off another car. Direct short.

Carquest did not work. It's a pos or neg regulator.

Be nice if you could replace resistors.

Attach file:

jpg  (322.82 KB)
4498_582076bbd0353.jpg 1920X1259 px

Posted on: 2016/11/7 7:54
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Boy, is this feed striking close to home! Whereas your 400 has a voltage indicator, my Clipper has an idiot light and someone in the past inadvertently rigged the generator light to the brake light and (I assume) vice versa.

Although I did not get a clear indication of a problem, my battery kept running down, so I decided to have the generator checked. Turns out it was shot and had to be rebuilt. The company that did it also checked the voltage regulator as well, which was OK.

The wires coming off the generator were discolored and I had to guess which wad which when I reattached them to the regulator. I polarized the generator and thought everything was copacetic, but I found out the hard was how wrong I was. After checking the wiring again, everything is OK and the battery is getting charged as it should.

I had a talk with Ross Miller in Maryland about switching to an alternator. He told me there is nothing wrong with a generator and unless you are trying to power an air conditioner or some other high-power accessory, a generator should just fine. When everything is set up the way it should be, you shouldn't have any more trouble. As for your gauges, I heard there are aftermarket meters that correctly indicate voltage.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 11:22
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Somehow hundreds of millions of cars worked just fine running with generators. And believe it or not both 6V and 12 V Packards, Cadillacs, Oldsmobiles, Buicks, Lincolns etc actually had air conditioning....and they ran fine also.

Alternators have their advantages but so do 350" Chevy v8's.

Keep it simple

Posted on: 2016/11/7 12:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
M bumble

I use this. With my meter..have it hooked up to ignition switch acc side. With alt. It's at 14.5 v.constant. with the generator it would swing. Up and down. With rpms. Which i guess was regulator getting ready to blow.

One thing with alt. Number 2 spark plug is wide open..

I agree with ross.

Attach file:

jpg  (149.99 KB)
4498_58215a6064642.jpg 1920X1725 px

Posted on: 2016/11/7 23:53
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
MrBumble Quote:
I had a talk with Ross Miller in Maryland about switching to an alternator. He told me there is nothing wrong with a generator and unless you are trying to power an air conditioner or some other high-power accessory, a generator should just fine.

I agree, but on my Panther I will have aftermarket A/C and an aftermarket stereo, so I'll be using an alternator (140amp, 1 wire) on a custom bracket. Of course there's no regulator and I'll have a voltage gauge hidden in the glove box. I'll have pictures on my website in a few months.

BTW, my 55 Pat has a generator, regulator and the stock ammeter in the instrument cluster. All works fine.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/11/8 7:49
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved