Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 90

bertus cardinaal, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1939 Super 8 pinion seal replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
I need to replace the pinion seal in the rear end. Looks pretty much straight forward. Anything special I need to know?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2016/11/23 9:00
S&S Gas Works Garage LLC,Chester
 Top  Print 

Re: 1939 Super 8 pinion seal replacement
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There is a crush sleeve type spacer used to establish the preload on the pinion bearings. Assuming the rear axle is quiet now you want to maintain the exact same preload so unless you're going to install a new crush sleeve, best you can do is count the EXACT number of turns needed to remove the pinion retaining nut, and reinstall to the same position.

Posted on: 2016/11/23 9:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
All I am doing is dropping the drive shaft and pulling the yoke. I shouldn't have to do any shimming correct??

Posted on: 2016/11/23 9:21
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No shimming but as O_D said the replacement of the yoke and nut in the exact spot is vital. Mark the nut and shaft so once the nut breaks free you can remove and count the number of turns and partial turns to get the yoke back at the exact same depth. I believe the seal is held in a dust shield like retainer piece on some axles and it may present some resistance in wanting to come out. IIRC, the retainer has to be reused so be gentle.

Posted on: 2016/11/23 10:48
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
Got it! Thanks to you both for the info.

Posted on: 2016/11/23 10:55
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
GasWorks, just to be sure you're clear on this, removing the yoke removes the preload on the pinion shaft bearings. Assuming it was correct if the first place, you can re-establish that preload by returning the yoke nut to it's original position. Otherwise go thru the procedure as shown in the service manuals or Motor Manuals to establish the correct preload.

Posted on: 2016/11/23 11:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
understood O.D. and thanks

Posted on: 2016/11/23 11:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
does anyone know what this is? Its on the rearend.

Attach file:

jpg  (150.80 KB)
141256_5835cb5b60747.jpg 1152X2048 px

Posted on: 2016/11/23 12:01
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's in the shop and parts manuals, a feature of the senior (thru 1950 Custom 8) and commercial (thru 1954) car differentials. It's got a idler bearing inside the case which runs on the backside of the ring gear to prevent deflection under load. What you're looking at is the adjustment for same. See Plate 113 of the 48-54 Master Parts List. Whether it was actually served a purpose or was a case of over-engineering is a question. One might suspect the latter as this was the new "senior" car differential replacing (except for the Twelve) the very massively robust "angleset" differential.

Posted on: 2016/11/23 12:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
I seem to remember something about locking the nut in place once it is in the correct position. So that it does not back out.

Posted on: 2016/11/23 15:24
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved