Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Any '56 400's out there painted solid Scottish Heather (K)?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jack klat
See User information
So on glancing at my door tag, I discovered that my car was once upon a time, not two toned, but instead, completely painted Scottish Heather code K. I was wondering if anyone knows of any that are still around wearing only Scottish Heather? Seems like it might be a bit much, without the contrasting color, but who knows.

Posted on: 2016/12/10 5:19
 Top  Print 

Re: Any '56 400's out there painted solid Scottish Heather (K)?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
One seldom sees 56s in solid colors which is a pity as I think they look very nice that way. The reynolds wrap breaks up any bulkiness in the side view and the single tone makes the roof less prominent. The overall effect is that the car appears about two city blocks long--much longer and sleeker than a Caribbean imo.

I would further encourage the single tone as there are so many out there in the Heather and White combo. Seems like half the year's production was that scheme. Perhaps someone can post a copy of the 56 ad with the 400 in profile in solid red.

Posted on: 2016/12/10 6:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
In my decades long appreciation of 1956 Packards, I can only recall seeing a few painted in solid colors. One was a black Patrician that I suspect did duty with an Archbishop or a funeral home, and one solid Danube Blue 400 that was being actively neglected by its owner. That blue car really looked faded blue almost everywhere, except for small areas of white vinyl on the seats and doors. Too blue on a big car for my tastes.

My Esquire probably survived because of the previous owner acceding to his wife's preference for the tri-toned MES colors. Six other 56s in his stable didn't, and many may have gone elsewhere because of their colors. His 45 year old repaint still draws positive comments at local shows, especially from older people who remember the colors you could get on a Royal Lancer or Montclair hardtop in the mid-50s. My equally shining Executive hardtop has only two colors, and gets no where near the comments.

I suppose that Packard, especially in later 1956, would paint any car any standard factory color on special request. I remember the forum discussion of a very few solid white or black Caribbeans and the debate that raised. But, a Packard owner with his/her definite preferences, and the willingness to wait for delivery, probably could write their own ticket. Recently, a member of our Corvette club got a great deal on a specially ordered convertible that was "left at the altar" when the owner realized how odd the car looked, and as a result, lost his large cash deposit. That car sat unwanted and was laughed at by many, until the savings were passed onto our club member. He has almost as much fun at car shows as I do with my Packards.

Posted on: 2016/12/10 9:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
Here ya go.

Attach file:

jpg  (144.93 KB)
1445_584c214c40c38.jpg 1574X2048 px

Posted on: 2016/12/10 10:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Beautiful, Like Ross said...The single color makes the car look very long and pleasing to the eye.(paraphrasing).

Posted on: 2016/12/10 14:19
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jack klat
See User information
My car was restored...(not by me), and of course two toned, but to me, the repaint in base coat/clear coat, looks too modern and "plastic". I am also not a fan of base/clear paints, as they inevitably chalk and flake. I paint cars, so I am constantly seeing this first hand.

While I really like the two tone, I have toyed with the idea of returning it to it's single color paint scheme. Does anyone know of a surviving sold Scottish Heather 400, or perhaps have a photo of one?

Although not really a primary concern to me, I assume that returning the car to it's factory paint scheme, would add to it's value?

Thank you for the factory ad showing the red car and yes, it does look a mile long!

Posted on: 2016/12/10 14:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I feel that single tone 56 Seniors are not as rare as we think. We've owned a 56 400 in Mojave tan, have a 56 Patrician in Maltese grey and had a 56 Carib Conv also in Maltese grey

Posted on: 2016/12/10 14:45
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jack klat
See User information
A friend sent me this.. it seems to be a breakdown of how many Packards were produced with what color combinations. He is going to scan the complete page later and send it to me.

Attach file:

jpg  (49.34 KB)
3885_584c634a0e4a7.jpg 720X960 px

Posted on: 2016/12/10 15:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

One of our East Grand Packard region members has a handsome solid dark green '56 Patrician.
http://www.eastgrandpackards.com/fordyce.html

Over the years, I've run across a solid Maltese gray '56 Patrician plus a number of '56 400 hardtops in solid black, though some might have been later repaints over the white areas.

On the other hand, solid color '56 Clipper Deluxe sedans seem to have been built in groups, especially turquoise (leftover drums from 1955?).

Steve

Posted on: 2016/12/10 15:23
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jack klat
See User information
Fred, that is no doubt true. There may very well be a bunch of single colored senior cars out there, but I wonder how many, like mine, have been "dressed up" with another color?

Posted on: 2016/12/10 15:25
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved