Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 124

bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Brake shoe linings
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
How are the linings installed onto the metal part I see that there's rivits but is there a special tool to put on those I've seen something about gluing them on does anybody know about that?

Posted on: 2017/1/9 1:44
 Top  Print   

Re: Brake shoe linings
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Bonded (glued) or riveted, both were available for many years though riveted came first, bonding probably becoming the preference somewhere in the 1950s or 60s. Both can perform well, some minor advantages either way.

For bonded shoes you either took you old shoes to a brake shop for new linings to be bonded, or just bought new shoes on an exchange basis. For riveted linings, likewise most people just had a local brake shop do it or buy on an exchange basis, but tools were commonly available to do it yourself. For riveted lings, you normally got new linings pre-drilled but there were also special tools for drilling the rivet holes and tensioning the lining while installing the rivets.

Posted on: 2017/1/9 9:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Bonding is not a DIY affair, special bonding agents are used then it is cured in a high temp oven while clamped in a special fixture

Posted on: 2017/1/9 9:48
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
Thank you guys,

Does anyone know of any interchange shoes that are complete that don't cost $80 an axle? please let me know

Posted on: 2017/1/9 10:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Kanter Auto Products has invested in tooling and dies to reproduce Packard brake shoes as they are mostly unavailable in the marketplace. If they were commonly available we wouldn't have to go to the expense. It may be possible to find for less at a flea market.

Posted on: 2017/1/9 12:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information

Posted on: 2017/1/9 13:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Sometimes taking the cheaper way, turns out not to be the cheaper way. You are better off sticking with Kanter or equivalent. Best is to find a local shop that does truck brakes. The drums may need to be trued. The linings arched. You will be able to take the drums and or shoes to the shop for checking. The local truck shop will be able to put new linings on the shoes or you will be able to bring the Kanter linings with you. If not done correctly you can end up with your brake pedal moving up and down, and squealing sound from your brakes when applied. Plus once you are in there if you should need cylinders?

Posted on: 2017/1/9 21:23
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
Yeah I'm just gonna have to bit the bullet lol
I'm wanting to go completely through the brakes and was hoping I could save a little money with the shoes. I have 3 kids and a mortgage that don't like me buying car parts

Posted on: 2017/1/9 23:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Plus some linings are harder than others. Kanter, or the truck shop will know what is best for your use. And if there is an issue the shop I am sure would be more than happy to correct or assist. Where you are located there should be several long time truck brake shops. Found a great shop here in Vegas, I told him what I wanted to get done, he told me what to bring from the car. I tried to give him some advise, he politely told me to leave and he would call in a couple days. Best brake job ever.

Posted on: 2017/1/10 1:32
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
Thanks for the info guys this is the first car that I've done the brakes on that I can't just go down to the parts store and pick up the shoes

Posted on: 2017/1/10 2:01
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved