Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
74 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 73

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Brighter tail lights
Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
I don't know when the last time someone brought this up but I'm getting ready to get my 1939 Super 8 ready for the road. Right now it has the regular 6 volt incandescent bulbs (like the original) but I'm looking to use the new LED bulbs that are brighter and use less electricity. Anyone have any good luck with certain companies or brands of bulbs? Or is there something new out there that's even better than LED's?

Steve

Posted on: 2017/1/12 17:29
 Top  Print   

Re: Brighter tail lights
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
We purchased many brands of LED' and tried them in numerous Packard taillights 35-56. While they are bright they appear bright in a straight line behind the car, a bit to the side they are dimmer. As they give little benefit and some detriment we decided not to sell them. In a big taillight like a '56 they are very poor.

The best thin to make your taillights more visible is to line the shell with aluminum foil. The amount of electricity saved with LED's is negligible.

To effectively use LED's the entire assembly and lens must be specifically designed for them, ,look at them on new cars in traffic

Posted on: 2017/1/12 18:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In addition to Fred's comments the other option is Halogen. I don't know if there are any direct fit halogen bulbs for the older bayonet sockets but the bulbs are brighter -- and also run hotter. Sockets could probably be changed to a modern halogen version to use modern bulbs but the extra heat could be detrimental to the lens or enclosure.

Excellent grounds to the point of soldering on an extra wire to the light sockets and a clean connection on the sheetmetal to make the ground instead of relying on the original connections via mounting bolts and pot metal housings will go a long way toward making the original incandescent bulbs brighter. Having good clean wire terminal connections are also a given.

If you are interested in checking out Halogens, do a search to find some of the vendors. One or two mention base types on their offerings. For your original bulb base type you can go to Don's Bulbshttp://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/t.pl and enter your bulb number in the search field. On the page that comes up select a USA version to get all the base specs.

Posted on: 2017/1/12 18:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
FredKanter Quote:
We purchased many brands of LED' and tried them in numerous Packard taillights 35-56. While they are bright they appear bright in a straight line behind the car, a bit to the side they are dimmer. As they give little benefit and some detriment we decided not to sell them. In a big taillight like a '56 they are very poor.

Fred, you can certainly do whatever evaluation you want and sell whatever you deem appropriate. BUT LED tech has come a long way in a very short time. I will have nothing but LEDs in my Panther including headlights and tail lights. The tail lights available in LED now are 180 in design, so I expect them to be super in my Panther (1956 Clipper/Exec tail lights). When I get to that point, I'll take some pictures at night compared them to my incandescent 1955 Patrician and you guys can judge for yourselves.

Craig

Posted on: 2017/1/12 22:23
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Good point, we did the evaluation about 3 years ago. The LED's we tested were the "second generation"?? type with multiple led's pointing in all directions. Will buy the latest and test again. When we tested a '56 Senior we found the LED did not light up the entire lens like the incandescent did, they only made a bright point of light.

Posted on: 2017/1/13 6:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I go along with the grounding issue. When I first got my 38 coupe the tail lights were dim. The previous owner even put two bulbs in the housing. After some testing I ran an extra ground wire to the socket and WOW what a difference. I also added a LED light bar to the top of my license plate to act as a third brake light.

Posted on: 2017/1/13 8:36
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Can you provide details and photos of the LED third tail light? Thanks

Posted on: 2017/1/13 9:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
What dallas said.

Posted on: 2017/1/13 11:12
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
this is what a new, universal wiring harness and 12v got me. normal bulbs were used. headlights are E-code. on my universal wiring harness, there is a wire for a third brake light....didn't use it though.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.55 KB)
491_5878ff9259ef6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (20.57 KB)
491_5878ff9ab0eba.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2017/1/13 11:26
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I had to fit a two filament bulb in the tail lights when I installed turn signals on the 115C. This involved a new brackets, sockets, and of course bulbs. I also sprayed the inside of the housings a bright aluminum. All the new parts, with good grounds and painted housing interiors resulted in a big improvement in the tail and brake lights.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2017/1/13 11:35
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved