Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 166

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

replacement throwout bearing for 48 custom deluxe?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

austinsailor
See User information
I'm not having the best of luck finding a new throwout bearing for my 48 Club Coupe, sn 2275XXXX. Old bearing was a BCA 1686-1. Bearing house tells me the equal to it by others is not made any longer.

Sounds like my choice is to machine the carrier to fit another to it, or made a spacer to fit another.

What has anyone else done?

Posted on: 2017/1/12 21:54
 Top  Print 

Re: replacement throwout bearing for 48 custom deluxe?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Doesn't Kanter or Max have the proper bearing? If they do even though it might cost a bit more upfront it sounds as if the cost would even out by the time you figure in any machining.

Posted on: 2017/1/12 22:03
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

austinsailor
See User information
Actually, Kanter has a solution, $149 exchange. I assume they machine the carrier and recycle. I guess I'll go with them if nothing else shows up. Just pains me to pay $150 for a $20 part. Pay to play, huh?

I don't know who Max is.

Posted on: 2017/1/12 22:09
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Max Merritthttp://www.maxmerrittauto.com is another of our vendors. There is also Patrician Industries. Patrician does not have a website but contact info is in the Packard News Bulletin or you can visit Joel's ebay store where he lists a limited selection.http://stores.ebay.com/packards1

Posted on: 2017/1/12 22:38
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

austinsailor
See User information
Called Max Merrit this morning. They have the Throwout bearing, which they are certain will fit my carrier. Not the $20 to $30 I've paid for throwout bearings in the past, but at $90, certainly cheaper. They also have the spring which I'm certain I stretched before I realized it was attached to the transmission. They are on the way. Should be the next to last thing I need to get her all in tip top shape. Last item? Time!

Since there is nothing of that size listed in the trade books, I was curious where they get the non-existent bearings. They claim there are still suppliers, and some are NOS. Guess I'll know more in a couple days.

Thanks very much for the pointer to Max Merrit. Looks to be a great supply source.

Posted on: 2017/1/13 12:04
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
my guess it will be NOS. several of the parts I have ordered from MAX over the years were either excellent used or NOS.

Posted on: 2017/1/13 12:08
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

austinsailor
See User information
He said they sell several a week, so it must be a heck of a big stock!

Posted on: 2017/1/13 12:11
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved