Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 41 42 43 (44) 45 46 47 ... 73 »

Re: Henry's 37 Limousine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
alternator mounted. if it looks like the pulleys are not lined up exactly right....well you are not seeing things. its not perfect. it was probably like that the whole time and never caused any issue, i just couldn't really tell.

it isn't anything that the belt would scream about, but i do plan on spacing the pulley on the alternator a bit more forward with a spacer. i put a washer between the fan and spacer that is already on the backside of the fan and that helped, but i dont want to space the fan too far from the body and render it useless for cooling. i will space the pulley away from the fan a bit to try to push it out more. it wont be much, but it will help a bit.

forgot to mention i tested the starter.....lets just say it wont have any problems starting the car. its a boss.

work stopped after this as my allergies are going crazy right now. this weather in Texas is nuts right now and mountain cedar is high, which i'm allergic to.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.60 KB)
491_5878f5eaf0f02.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2017/1/13 10:44
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Henry, et. al. - could the hole in the flywheel housing be to provide access to the release bearing spring?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2017/1/13 16:11
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
got this from my Aunt for belated Christmas. What a great gift!

Attach file:

jpg  (43.49 KB)
491_587d2087acf9d.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2017/1/16 14:35
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
finished up the oil filter feed line.

mounted the carb and started working on the routing of the fuel lines. i had some left over braided fuel line and i thought it looked nice. i'm going to relocate the fuel filter to before the fuel pump and on the frame rail.

had issues with the choke tube mount on the exhaust manifold. whoever drilled the hole drilled it a wee bit too big and when i would go to tighten the choke tuve in it would just spin and i could take it out just by rocking it back and forth.

so i thought and that and tried several unsuccesful tries to make it work and just decided to drill the hole bigger and fit in an adapter i had laying around. it was a brass connector for a temp gauge sender. i drilled it to fit the choke tube end and then drilled and tapped the exhaust manifold to accept the brass adapter. it still had some issue grapping as there were not many threads afforded in the manifold. but i got it finally and i dont think it will go anwywhere.....hopefully....if not....i'm taking the manifold back off and welding the hole shut and rethinking the whole chock setup. you can barely see what i did in the picture. yes i did suck all of the metal shavings out of the exaust manifold. i used that braided fuel line hooked to my vacuum cleaner and sucked it all out.

sorry the pic is dark

can anyone tell me how the vacuum lines were hooked up on the top of the fuel pump. i have a fitting for the intake manifold and figured it got vacuum from there and then the other side leads to the inside of the car for the wipers. near one of the ports for the vacuum side of the fuel pump it says IN....but i'm not sure if that is indicating the fuel side or not.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.05 KB)
491_587e6d414efe2.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2017/1/17 14:15
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The port labeled in would be the port going to the wiper motor. If there is any doubt rig up something where you can connect to a port and blow into a tube or hose. If the valves in the vacuum section are good you will be able to blow in one port and not the other. The port that allows the air to pass is the one going to the wiper motor. In that arrangement the vacuum from manifold will pull the valves open and draw air right thru the pump. If the manifold vacuum falls off then the valves start to work and pump takes over expelling thru the out port into the manifold.

Posted on: 2017/1/17 14:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The port on your vacuum section that "inhales: gets routed to the wipers. The port that "exhales" goes to the intake manifold.

Posted on: 2017/1/17 14:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
thanks guys, that makes perfect sense! fuel pump was rebuilt, including vacuum section. wipers did not work before, but there was no manifold hook up to the pump....only from the IN to the wipers. here's to hoping they work after this.

if not i guess the motor itself needs a rebuild along with checking the lines under the dash.

Posted on: 2017/1/17 15:06
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
was the line from the manifold a hard line? the plugs on the fuel pump both were fro soft lines.

right now it is wiper motor...soft line....hardline down frame....soft line to IN on fuel pump. then a fitting on the other side for another soft line to go to the intake manifold. i kinda figured it would have been a hard line to the intake manifold.

Posted on: 2017/1/17 15:15
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I see you have plugged vacuum ports on the front end of your intake manifold. For what it's worth here is the routing on many pre 51 engines but don't have any photos 37 specific. Some pumps have threaded ports for 1/8 fittings and the steel line connected directly. Other pumps have hose nipples and there was short lengths of rubber hose between the steel lines and the pump. The steel line was fastened to the block just above the oil gallery with some clamps that screwed into special screw top plugs on the gallery.

Not sure where the 37 line enters the firewall to go inside to the motor. On many, at the end of engine the steel line running the length of the block bent up and stopped. A short length of hose either completed the route to the motor or it just provided a flex connection to another steel line that ran up or across the firewall. That steel line stopped and another short length of hose completed the run to the motor.

Attach file:

jpg  (68.99 KB)
209_587e7cc9cc897.jpg 917X671 px

Posted on: 2017/1/17 15:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
the connector port on my car's intake manfold is on the firewall side, where the picture shows 5.0920. It would have been easier if they had put it on the radiator side as in the photo you uploaded. so i have to run a line from the left side of the intake manfold all the way to the fuel pump. i'm going to try to do a hard line and follow the lines of the intake manfold and drop down to the fuel pump.

right now the fuel pump has a hose nipple on both sides, but i think what i'm going to do is run a hardline from the intake to the fuel pump and change the connector since they are both on the motor. then run soft line from the fuel pump to the hard line on the frame rail since that will flex.

Posted on: 2017/1/17 15:37
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 41 42 43 (44) 45 46 47 ... 73 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved