Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
71 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 71

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

advice on ultramatic for 1952
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
hello,
I have a 1952 with ultramatic. when I bought the car 5 years ago or so I was told the trans had been totally redone. the trans work very well.
The other day I was doing a variety of maintenance etc. I checked the ATF according to info in this website. I read to use Dexron or Type F. Well the dip stick says I need to ad fluid.
My question: Do I just ad the fluid mentioned or should I drain and refill with new fluid????
BTW the fluid looks very clean.....
thanks for your advice.
tim

Posted on: 2017/1/24 15:33
 Top  Print 

Re: advice on ultramatic for 1952
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
IMO, if you know what fluid is in there now and it is clean and no evidence of overheating or burning I would just add more as needed. For the most accurate dipstick reading, run the engine at a fast idle for a couple of minutes to make sure the converter is full and then check or, if you prefer shut the engine off and check the dipstick within 1 minute after the engine is turned off before the converter has a chance to drain any fluid back.

If the fluid type or history is unknown or many years old then maybe a complete change is in order so at least you know what you have next time. I don't think there is any harm adding a small amount of different type fluid but others will be better versed on that.

Posted on: 2017/1/24 15:50
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Just add fluid. Don't add too much, it will expand when it gets hot to a surprising amount. Make sure it is above the add mark, go for a long drive and check it again.

Posted on: 2017/1/24 16:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
I cant agree more with Howard.... Do Not Mix F and Dextron, totally different properties and they do hold different shift characteristics..i.e. Dextron shifts noticeably smoother than F.

I warranty Transmissions running either fluid but I do tend to lean towards Dextron and very happy with its performance.

IF you do drain, dont forget to drain the Converter as well. Drain the brass plug, turn 180 and drain the other plug.

Posted on: 2017/1/24 22:28
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
The two fluids are totally and completely compatible, if you mix or switch the seals will not leak, the trans will still work and you probably can't tell the difference when driving. Yes, supposedly one shifts crisper than the other but the 50-54 does not shift , there's only direct drive engagement and it is often almost imperceptible

Bottles of them do not have warnings, car manufacturers do not have warnings or void warranties if fluids are mixed.

Add fluid and just enjoy the drive.

Posted on: 2017/1/24 23:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
thanks for the great advice. As always you are a big help/
sincerely
tim

Posted on: 2017/1/25 15:30
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved