Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
69 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 66

Sharkey, BigKev, Packard51, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Drilling into firewall
Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Hi, Does anyone know of a template for drilling holes in the firewall for installing a heater in a 39 Super. My mechanic doesn't want to make a mistake like a 1/4" off a mounting hole or drain hole if he can help it.

Thanks again!

Steve

Posted on: 2017/2/10 17:34
 Top  Print   

Re: Drilling into firewall
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
General positions where the units were located under the dash are shown in service letter Vol12 #19 of Oct. 1, 1938 which you can download. The actual templates were part of the instructions in the accessory kit and probably not many survived. Possibly someone has one or Kanter might even have a NOS unit in that warehouse and maybe could copy the instructions.

If nothing comes along you can carefully place the heater face down on a soft surface and lay a piece of thin cardboard or heavy paper over the tubes and mounting bolts. Press down and make an impression of the tubes and bolts then cut and trim so you have a good template. If the tubes and mounting bolts are long enough to provide space for a pencil, you could stand the tubes on the paper and trace where the openings need to be.

Posted on: 2017/2/10 17:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Don't know if this will help or not. Here are 3 photos, two of my 40 super, and one of 39, 12. As I remember there were already holes drilled in firewall when I got these vehicles. Mid eighties. The 39 interior is original, and did not have a heater when I got the vehilcle, had to cut holes in inside of vehicle fabric, etc., as I remember. You will notice extra holes in the 39 firewall, someone had mounted an oil filter, instead of replacing the original one. On the 40 you will notice a ball valve with a handle. When I attached the heater I had just had the interior done, and wanted to make sure I could completely turn the water off to help stop any heater radiator leaks, so valve on block and inline hose.

Attach file:

jpg  (192.55 KB)
733_589e5462803a8.jpg 1080X1920 px

jpg  (228.44 KB)
733_589e547cd90f4.jpg 1152X2048 px

Posted on: 2017/2/10 19:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Please take simple steps to avoid what all too often was the crude mistake of drilling thru the plate plate. It's just painful to see how many plates have a hole thru them

Posted on: 2017/2/10 21:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved