Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Drooping door handles
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I have a stripped flywheel window gear on the passenger side of my '39 Six and a cracked window plus no lock key on the driver's side. (front doors) and I have a couple of questions re the disassembly of the doors. Firstly, am I correct in assuming that to remove the inner door handles, one pushes the panel in to expose the crank shaft stub, and then remove the pin(s) with a 3/16" or so punch? Secondly, my outer door handles tend to droop downward instead of returning to the horizontal position and, in as much as I have to remove the driver's door handle to get a key made for it, I was wondering if anyone can give me some guidance re procuring and replacing the return springs?? Also, is there a source for the passenger side flywheel gear or does one have to get the gear re-made?? I realize that is a few questions in a row.... thanks to any and all who have time to respond.

Posted on: 2017/2/11 17:09
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Re: Drooping door handles
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
1. Yes, that's how you remove the handle.

2. Window gear. Probably easiest to contact Packard-Seattle with email to dmoeenterprises@cs.com, or David Flack, flackmaster on this forum, or the usual suspects, Kanter Auto Products, Max Merritt or post a Want To Buy in the Buy/Sell Forum here and replace the whole elevator mechanism.

When I took my own windows in for glass replacement at an old auto glass company, they found an old mechanism with the same size gear and number of teeth and removed it for me. It may have been from a Chevy, but I don't know for sure.

So maybe pick the oldest auto glass place near you, have them replace your window and ask them about finding a match. You might get lucky.

3. John Ulrich, julrichpackard.com has some door latch springs, but for droopy door handles, the only solution I've heard is heating up the handle and twisting the shaft a little. It will still be loose, but it will be straight at rest. I would like to hear what the best solution is from a restorer.

Attach file:

jpg  (17.78 KB)
1067_589f97e233562.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2017/2/11 18:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
If your doors are drooping a bit, because of hinge issues, or where the hinges mount.

Posted on: 2017/2/11 19:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks for the 'reads & replies' - much appreciated. I did get a hold of John Ulrich and he is sending me new springs and a new crank gear for my fly window. I did dig through some old forum threads, and saw similar issues with a '37. The solution there seemed to be heating the shafts and twisting them. It also said a thorough cleaning and re lubricating of the latch mechanisms are essential, which I will do. I will report back with findings/results. Again, thanks for taking the time to help and advise.

Posted on: 2017/2/11 21:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
I would echo the Joe Santana response of putting a small twist in the handle operating shaft. It certainly works and it doesn't matter if it is a Packard Six or Twelve.

Peter Toet

Posted on: 2017/2/12 1:54
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Chris (Packard newbie), don't know if more a hindrance than a help but shoot a glance at -> this.

Posted on: 2017/2/12 16:16
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks Gerd (Guscha).. I did check out the thread you referenced - it seems there are 2 springs involved and I am told the circular one almost never breaks. I have ordered 4 of the 'other' springs from John Ulrich Packard. I will remove the latch mechanisms and clean them up, re-lubricate and replace the springs. If that works, fine; if not, I will get them 'heated and twisted' as per the suggestion of the other folks who weighed in, that have addressed this issue.

On a separate note, I wanted to comment on the fly window mechanism. I did remove it and in taking it apart, found that the shaft on which the crown gear rotates, is riveted to the bottom bracket. I was able to 'clear' the rivet knurl with a cold chisel and eventually got it apart and freed the stripped gear. It does not look like the shaft- end will re-rivet back on to the bracket. My thought was to drill the end of the shaft, tap it for a small machine screw and use a washer to re-secure the shaft to the bracket on reassembly. This all seems rather much to just replace the stripped crown gear and I was wondering if I screwed up and there was another way?? Or is this what everyone does?? Just curious if I was doing it the 'hard way'??
Again, many thanks to the kind folks who always help out on these queries. Your experience is invaluable!

Posted on: 2017/2/15 14:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
... I am told the circular one almost never breaks...

Chris (Packard newbie), rather fatigued than broken springs are the reason for sagging handles.
Be so kind to keep us updated on your repair success.

Attach file:

jpg  (59.89 KB)
757_58a4d1d1abc1f.jpg 800X546 px

Posted on: 2017/2/15 16:31
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
When you receive those springs, please document exactly how you installed them. I could not figure out the 'trick' to getting them in. Thanks.

Posted on: 2017/2/16 1:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I sure will Joe... although you saying that gives me pause to wonder if IIIII will be able to figure out how to put them in!! LOL I may end up having to get the 'play-by-play' from John Ulrich... irrespective, I will document and post the 'procedure' and will take some pics too!

Posted on: 2017/2/16 13:01
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved