Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

288 igniton wire to carburetor cut at firewall, now what?
Just popping in
Just popping in

1948Packard_Matt
See User information
I do not have a picture of it, but I can take one. I am trying to get the '48 off the ground for St. Patrick's Day Parade and have not been able to get her running as of yet, but I'm getting there. How do I lengthen and add new wiring and reconnect the ignition cable that goes to the carburetor? I cannot find it on the forums anywhere and have searched for hours. I am also not getting any fuel to the carburetor nd have to check lines and pump to find what is going on. Thanks for any help

Posted on: 2017/2/20 16:01
 Top  Print 

Re: 288 igniton wire to carburetor cut at firewall, now what?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure what you mean by ignition wire to carburetor. There should be two wires going to a black plastic enclosure with two screw terminals positioned on the back of the carb. That black item is the starter switch operated by pushing the accelerator all the way to the floor. If the colors haven't faded too badly the yellow-red comes from the GA (longest terminal) on the ignition switch and the green-white wire goes to the small terminal on top of the starter solenoid.

If there is anything else connected then it is not stock and we would need more info.

If you need a wiring diagram for the car you can download one from the literature section.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/wirediagrams/48-9%20%2022nd%20Series.pdf

Posted on: 2017/2/20 16:17
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

1948Packard_Matt
See User information
Yes, the starter switch (assuming it is the black disc on the side of the carburetor), there are no wires coming out of it. So, apparently the previous owner cut them. So, I need two wires, a yellow-red and a green white, it looks like and reconnect into the cut part of the wire? Raining today but will try to reconnect tonight or tomorrow. thanks for the info, HH56.

Posted on: 2017/2/20 16:29
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If those are the only cut wires, the question would be why they were cut. The most usual reason is because there has been a push button or other means of starting installed and the carb switch was eliminated.

Sometimes owners didn't like the accelerator starting method or wanted an auxiliary means of starting at times when they didn't want to push the accelerator and add more gas to the engine and other times the switch failed and it was more expedient or cheaper to use another method.

I would verify wiring on what is used to start the car now and either disconnect that or make sure when you reconnect the carb switch that it is in parallel with the extra switch.

Posted on: 2017/2/20 16:42
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Here's a picture not too good, but one showing where the starter wires connect to the carb., RED arrow points at the switch.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (350.30 KB)
1003_58ab84660b914.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/2/20 19:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

1948Packard_Matt wrote:
Yes, the starter switch (assuming it is the black disc on the side of the carburetor)...

See Wesley's photo above for the location of the Carter Car Starter switch. The black disc sounds more like the choke adjustment.

Posted on: 2017/2/21 8:21
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
JD brings up a good point about the black disc if that is where the cut wire leads. Many years ago an acquaintance installed an electric choke kit on his Packard and wonder if something like that could have been done to yours. I don't remember many details or exactly how he powered it but because it was close, think it was wired to the hot terminal on ign coil that comes directly from the ign sw.

Posted on: 2017/2/21 9:39
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

1948Packard_Matt
See User information
that is great advice.........it is supposed to be close to 70 here today so hopefully I will get around to checking it this afternoon...thanks again

Posted on: 2017/2/21 11:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If you do wire the carb switch* back up and it still doesn't start, the carb switch could be faulty. Jumper between the two terminals to bypass it. Also check the starter/selenoid is not going to ground.

As a point of suggestion for Frankensteining, bring up each system separately. Clean and verify the fuel, ring out the electrical/ignition, lube, mechanicals*, cooling, brakes, etc. and then go for a start. Don't even try before you've checked off and green lighted systems. (It's how we do large scale projects) If you try to diagnose everything inch by inch, it'll go badly, and you'll get frustrated as others have. If you overlook something that's important, you're in for accident.
If you work part time daily, I'd say its about 3-4 weeks to go through one. Often better time and outcome wise to just replace than clean and refurbish where available.
* - a hand turn should verify it's not locked up before you try to crank it or invest a lot of time in other areas.
* - HH published a nice piece on that a few years back on how it works and rebuild. Try to find it. I had copied it and have somewhere but he may guide.

Posted on: 2017/2/25 20:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
I do not have a picture of it, but I can take one...

Posted on: 2017/2/26 0:47
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved