Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Ultramatic ATF
Just popping in
Just popping in

Karl
See User information
I have read in the FAQ?s that the original Oil for the Ultramatic ATF A is not aviable. But i think this oil is aviable here in europe, i have found at an german manufacturer for this oil:

https://www.ravenol-shop.de/getriebeoel/automatik/ravenol-atf-type-a-suffix-a

You believe that it is the right oil?
I will buy it for my 56 Patrician.

Greets from Austria,

Karl

Posted on: 2017/3/14 4:57
1956 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic ATF
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I would not recommend that oil as they warn against using it in cars using the various Dexron types. It is very likely that the type "A" in 21st century Europe does not mean the same thing as type "A" in 1956. Type A in those days was a very primitive lubricant.

Any of the Dexron types would be OK

Posted on: 2017/3/14 5:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Karl,
Been a member for a while but first post, so to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '56 Patrician in the Packard Owner's Registry. And.....any advice from Ross is excellent advice!

Posted on: 2017/3/14 6:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Karl
See User information
Now I have a reply to my email from the manufacturer. They says its the correct oil for my Transmission and means the same specification as 1956 and says that i can use also dexron 2.
Karl

Posted on: 2017/3/14 6:14
1956 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Karl
See User information
Hi Ozstatman, thank you for your "Welcome". Yes i will register my Patrician to the owner register!

Karl

Posted on: 2017/3/14 6:23
1956 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Welcome Karl and we are looking forward to seeing pictures of your Patrician. Ross always gives good advice and counsel.

Posted on: 2017/3/14 8:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I thought someone recommended F type transmission fluid as working with the Ultramatic??
John

Posted on: 2017/3/14 15:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It was and still is the recommendation as type A was for all practical purposes NLA. It appears some specialty places are starting to market a fluid calling it type A but whether it exactly matches the old specs is a question. From what I've seen it is more expensive than type F or the Dexron types. Type F is also starting to become obsolete so other modern Dexron blend fluids suitable for older Fords are taking its place.

If the Ultra still has the cork facings I would stick with F or the A or something with a bit of grab such as Trick Shift so the linings get a good grip and lock quickly so they don't slip too much and overheat. If the Ultra has new modern linings then it is a lot less of an issue.

Posted on: 2017/3/14 15:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Type F is also starting to become obsolete

I guess that will inevitably happen but at least in this neck of the woods it's very readily available, commonly found at almost any auto parts store and in several brand names.

Posted on: 2017/3/15 9:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It seems to be getting hit or miss locally. Go in one store and there might be one brand or go to the next and find a selection. Dexron blends seem to be very plentiful with brands and price points even available as general merchandise store items.

Posted on: 2017/3/15 11:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved