Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Amp meter will not work in car
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Lorie
See User information
Checked generator it's good
Possibly need voltage regulator,went to napa,gave them the spec Delco remy5813 part number from shop manual for this car ( 1937 15th series super 8) shop manual shows 4 terminals....battery, ignition, generator and field. Napa gives us a 3 terminals and says it is the correct crossover for the delco remy 5813.... my question is what do we do with the 4th wire, which is the ignition wire... help please.

Posted on: 2017/3/16 19:51
 Top  Print 

Re: Amp meter will not work in car
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For the moment I would tape the wire and set it aside and see how the new regulator works in solving the original problem. The wire in question is a lead from the ign switch that when the key is on appears to bring in a relay coil arrangement doing something in the voltage regulation section of the old regulator.

Not sure what the purpose is unless it is some kind of method to ensure the regulator is disabled or make sure it is disconnected from the battery when ign is off. The only reference or description of the circuit I find in Motors Manual is that the old regulator was called a Delco two core and there is a note for a mechanic testing the system in a car saying that to disable the regulator for some of the tests you remove the wire.

Since the new regulator does not rely on that particular function or method to regulate voltage I would see how it operates just connected like a modern regulator. See if everything works with only a field, armature and battery connection.

Posted on: 2017/3/16 20:41
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved