Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 142

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

leaking bendix power steering control valae
Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
Replaced original? seals with correctly sized set from a local hydraulic repair shop, but leak persists.
Ordered repair kit from Packard parts suplier. In addition to the two seals it contained an"O" ding that is not shown in the parts or service manuals It appears to be sized to fit the control valve spool bolt.
I would deeply appreciate information on the proper placement of this O ring.
Thanks Happy

Posted on: 2016/11/11 16:21
 Top  Print   

Re: leaking bendix power steering control valae
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
Hi, Any feedback on this question? I bought the seal kit from Max and have the same question as to what to do with the o-ring.??

thank you

Attach file:

jpg  (107.87 KB)
120663_58cec21021bfb.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2017/3/19 12:38
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Since Max supplied the kit I would give them a call and explain the issue of the O ring not showing in the factory rebuild info. Ask if the O ring is to replace another item and if not, where it goes. It is possible they have made an error or the kit is from an outside supplier and is designed for more than one mfg or application.

As to leaks after new power cylinder seals are installed pay particular attention to the condition of the rod. I have seen several rods dirty, scored, or corroded to the point a few slides across a new seal is enough to start it leaking again. The control valve also had a bulletin or two regarding proper installation of the seals over rough or threaded surfaces and also the correct orientation of the lip on the seals. If a seal is in backwards fluid will push right past it.

Posted on: 2017/3/19 12:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
The O ring as part of the kit is not needed and should not be installed. Since I was curious to see what would happen if I installed the O ring, I tried it in two different locations one in front of the seal and one behind the seal. In both cases, the control valve did not function properly, resulting in no power assist.
I did talk to Max, they indicated that this kit could be used in other applications. Hence the extra part.
So, my advice would be just to install the new seal and lock nut.
Happy

Posted on: 2017/3/22 9:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
Thank you all for your reply and Happy, the results of your trials. I just talked to JD at Max as well and he also said it didn't apply. Annoying, as it causes confusion but I'll discard the o-ring and just put those seals etc in.

A related question regarding the ball stud and the outer sleeve. My outer sleeve has a semi-circular "indent" in it that looks like the ball stud was forced against the sleeve. The inner sleeve catches on this so I was about to clean it up, debur it etc. But then I noticed the parts plate (31E) actually shows this indent in the sleeve making me think it is supposed to be there to some degree. I was still going to flatten it so that the inner sleeve slides in smoothly.
Wondering if you saw something similar in yours.?

Attach file:

jpg  (71.02 KB)
120663_58d2c455bbe66.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2017/3/22 13:38
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
I think so. Short term memory loss. As I recall I think that's how the ball stud fits into the sleeve. Removing the burr should not hurt any thing. Good luck.

Happy

Posted on: 2017/3/24 6:51
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved