Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 132

Joe Krzan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Transmission problems and possible solutions for a 22nd series Custom Eight
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kanadanmajava
See User information
I reported my transmission issues couple of years ago. My transmission's 2nd gear on the main shaft has half tooth missing and the cluster gear is likely damaged as well. I did some inquiries to find a similar similar working transmission, but eventually I didn't manage to purchase anything.

I have been since looking for parts to revive the old transmission. The transmission has an R9 overdrive, so I would need a I reported my transmission issues couple of years ago. My transmission's 2nd gear on the main shaft has half tooth missing and the cluster gear is likely damaged as well. I did some inquiries to find a similar similar working transmission, but eventually I didn't manage to purchase anything.

I have been since looking for parts to revive the old transmission. The transmission has an R9 overdrive, so I would need a 354956 main shaft assembly, but I haven't been able to find one as a spare part. Max Merritt seems to offer one, but it's annoyingly expensive and my old one wouldn't probably give me the core refund due the broken gear.

But I'm pretty sure that the 2nd gear itself would be the same exact part with a main shaft that would be paired with a similar cluster gear and a synchronizer gear. The documentation says that the 2nd gear cannot be removed, but some shops seem to be refurbishing these. From factory they are pressed in to get some desired preload. So it probably has two (weirdly size?) ball bearings and some kind of locking crush washer that keeps the outer one in place.

So does anyone have any pictures or info how the gear and the ball bearing are assembled in the factory? My transmission is still in the car, as I cannot yet remove it.

I'm pretty sure that I could reattach the bearings with some method, if I just could remove them intact. The donor main shaft doesn't need to stay intact, if there is no other way to remove the gear and the bearings.

My other question is about the clutch splines. Does anyone know what is the Custom Eight's clutch spline? It should be larger than the splines used by other 22nd series models (1-1/8" 10 spline according to some source).

Posted on: 2017/3/17 8:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Transmission problems and possible solutions for a 22nd series Custom Eight
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Diameter of the Custom input shaft is just under 1 3/8 inches but I don't remember the number of splines. The pilot end and pilot bearing is also larger.

IIRC, the larger clutch plate is also used on some Ford trucks and may be listed in one of the PI interchange books. If anyone has one of the books handy maybe they could confirm.

Posted on: 2017/3/17 9:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kanadanmajava
See User information
Thanks for the info! I had found one slightly unreliable source about the splines for (V8 models) and the relation to Ford splines, but I misunderstood it. It was written "diameter of 13/8" which my brain translated to 1-5/8" not 1-3/8".

I suck at imperial fractions...

Posted on: 2017/3/17 11:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
The gears for the OD and nonOD are the same and the out put shaft can be repaired by cutting the pressed on retainer off and machining a grove for a snap ring. Then it is necessary to machine a spacer that is wide enough to put about 4 or 5 thousands preload on the 1st and 2nd gear bearings. Not the best but a good machinist can do the job. I would look for a used out put shaft in good shape to be safe.

Posted on: 2017/3/20 9:22

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
I've got an overdrive transmission from that era, but no way to confirm exactly the fitment.

How can I identify it closely enough to know if it will work for you?

jack vines

Posted on: 2017/3/20 10:41
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kanadanmajava
See User information
Does you overdrive have any cast markings? Mine is R9A-1, but I think other R9s could offer some suitable parts.

Currently things look promising. There's one suitable main shaft that has been offered as a solution. It would a correct one.

When I can get the old one out, I can of course study, how it could repaired. The machined new spacer sound's like doable solution, yet still challenging.

Posted on: 2017/3/21 9:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Does you overdrive have any cast markings? Mine is R9A-1, but I think other R9s could offer some suitable parts.

The R9A-1 OD is the 4 pinion heavy duty unit and was used with 356 engines although some of the commercial chassis may have used the heavy OD/small engine combination but that would have to be verified. The 3 pinion lighter duty ODs were on cars with smaller engines and those are just designated as an R9.

Some of the lighter R9 parts will fit inside the larger A-1 case but will not have the original strength which some have found leads to issues. The A-1 parts for the most part will not fit inside the smaller R9 case.

The basic transmission parts will, for the most part, interchange between engines but the 1 3/8 input shaft and throwout bearing support nose piece are larger for 356 engines. Shaft will need to be changed to the 1 1/8 diameter parts if a large unit is placed on a smaller engine and vice versa.

Posted on: 2017/3/21 11:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I went through my transmission parts and found that I have one repaired 354956 out put shaft, syncro and cluster gear. Please let me know if interested. Dell

Attach file:

jpg  (351.66 KB)
1697_58d70b717110e.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (324.97 KB)
1697_58d70b91c0a4a.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (169.92 KB)
1697_58d70bb561a14.jpg 1536X2048 px

Posted on: 2017/3/25 18:13

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mike52_200
See User information
I imagine this is long gone, but it looks like it might work for me. Do you still have these parts?
Thanks

Posted on: 2022/2/23 7:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Yes, please supply list of your needs and will see what I have. Dell

Posted on: 2022/2/23 14:38

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved