Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 129

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Mechanic needed in SouthEast US
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Scott Bluestein
See User information
Help!! I have a 56 Carribean that needs some engine work. Does anyone know the name of a mechanic who can work on the engine? The car is located in South Carolina. I am open for all mechanics in Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee or Florida? Thanks

Scott

Posted on: 2017/3/20 18:28
 Top  Print 

Re: Mechanic needed in SouthEast US
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Scott(ssb15),
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '56 Caribbean in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/3/20 19:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dadoc
See User information
you might ask Donald Taccone in Birmingham Alabama...he is a PAC director...owns a "55 Caribbean and several other Packards and has a garage on southside in Birmingham

Posted on: 2017/3/20 21:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John McCall and Mitch Parker
See User information
I can tell you who NOT TO USE! The mechanic we were referred to by a well-meaning Packard owner kept our 1956 Patrician for almost two years, and probably waited until four days before we gave him an ultimate deadline to do mediocre work on the transmission, exhaust, brakes, and carb. We told him to do anything he saw that was needed. He did not even bother to change the oil or tune the car--both of which were badly needed. We ended up taking the car home on a trailer, not trusting what he had done!

This is a dire problem with present and future Packard owners. A local mechanic here turned his nose up when asked about a simple oil change and tune-up with me providing all the parts! His response was, "Get with me the first of the week." That actually meant "Hell no!"

I was spoiled for decades, relying on my good friend Donald Taccone to work on my 55-56's. Not only was he an expert and trusted mechanic, Donald was passionate about 1956 Packards (and anything "Packard"). He took a well-deserved retirement and that should have been a signal for us to get out of the "Packard Business." We will soldier on as best we can, and we wish you well. It is a tough time for the collector hobby unless you drive Chrysler muscle cars, Fords, or "Chivrolaze!"

Packard folk, excuse me for sounding a bit elitist, have always been a very different culture, just as the customer base was for 59 years of Packard's presence in the marketplace. Now, our biggest problem is how to bring young people into our passionate hobby. Unfortunately, the present culture of the young doesn't often embrace the elegance, tribute to American workmanship, ingenuity, integrity, and art that was Packard.

Posted on: 2017/3/21 7:54
1956 Packard Caribbean Convertible
1956 Packard Patrician Touring Sedan
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Scott,

You said "56 Caribbean." Did you mean 1955 as you indicated to me earlier?

Posted on: 2017/3/21 7:55
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Sorry,

I had you confused with another Caribbean owner! I would like to suggest that you look at the E-Bay listing I currently have for a treasure-trove of NOS and used 1956 Caribbean (and other) parts.

Posted on: 2017/3/21 7:57
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
I am up in Pawleys island and might have a couple of suggestions that may be worth contacting. One is a automotive repair shop. The owner/mechanic has his own 38 Packard undergoing restoration and is savvy with all of the suppliers. A few miles further north is an excellent intuitive genius that seems to be able to sort out most of my problems on various machinery. He does specialize in exotic foreign products but never turns away "a challenge"
Would be worth at least talking to these two guys to see what they think they can do for you.
Carlo Complete Car Care (Carlo 38 Packard owner)
Pawleys Island Auto Center (Patrick)
Sorry, but try as I might, I have never found that "Packards R Us" shop in the state but have run into quite a few who failed miserably. Best of luck
If you can give me some idea of what the basic problem is maybe I could come up with another suggestion (is the car driveable?)

Posted on: 2017/4/6 19:34
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

ty seaton
See User information
If you are still looking for Packard mechanic in the SouthEast call me at 423-760-1725. Ask for Walt. I am located in Chattanooga, Tn.

Thanks,
Walt Seaton

Posted on: 2017/5/12 11:04
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved