Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 114

Ozstatman, pmhowe, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Material behind backseat of 41
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I have one last thing to complete the re-upholstering of my 41 160 sedan. Will someone advise me when you open the trunk what material was used to cover the backside of the rear seat back. I've seen many restored Packards that have that area carpeted. My thoughts are that a heavy felt looking material would be correct or should I just match the trunk carpet. The car is a driver but I like to keep things as original as possible. Thank you.

Posted on: 2017/3/27 21:51
 Top  Print   

Re: Material behind backseat of 41
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Depends on the model. The 41 fact book says the trunk on lesser models was finished in a "suede like rayon flock" on the sides with a leatherette floor mat. Colors of the flock varied although Packard did list a beige/brown color in a 37 service article. That may have carried thru 42. Senior cars had a "decorative printed insulating material" on sides with carpet on the floor.

I would almost bet the seat back material on 41 models was the same as the 21st series which is also finished in a brownish flock. On those the back of the seat is a water resistant cardboard. On models that used flock the visible cardboard also had that finish. Packard used cardboard on seat backs thru 56 but with varying finishes for the models and I doubt it was a different material in 41.
The flock fibers available today are much shorter than those used by Packard but modern nylon fiber is larger than the rayon and quite presentable. I used it in my 47.

Posted on: 2017/3/27 22:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

saltydog
See User information
My 160 Club Coupe had cardboard. G

Posted on: 2017/3/28 17:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you

Posted on: 2017/3/29 6:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Howard, Where did you purchase flock and what color? Thanks

Posted on: 2017/3/29 7:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I bought from Flock-Ithttp://www.flockit.com and used the Nylon fiber in Feather Brown. I chose that color because it was to my eye a perfect match for the color used on the inside of the 47 Custom glove box door and glovebox cardboard. Other model dashes with different woodgraining may have used a different color.

I couldn't get a good feel for the original trunk color due to it's condition but think it turned out just a tad dark for what was originally in the trunk. Were I to do it again would probably choose a lighter brown and also blend in a small amount of tan fiber. There are some photos of what I wound up with in my project blog.

Posted on: 2017/3/29 8:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Howard, How much did you useful the trunk? I see it is sold by the pound. Thanks

Posted on: 2017/3/29 9:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A pound will do the entire trunk and glovebox with some left over. I cannot remember how much adhesive it took. I think I ordered a quart and also one small can but won't swear to it. I did the glove box first and then the cardboard seat back. Trunk sides and floor came much later.

I also used the small cardboard tube mini flocker applicator that came in the first kit I bought when making the modified 56 AC glovebox. I ordered the air gun for the trunk but it seemed to clog up easily. IMO, the cardboard tube works much better but downside is it does require several refills to do the trunk.

Depending on temperature, once you apply the adhesive there is not much wasting around time. Either do things in small sections if it is something where you can have distinct break lines or have things at the ready to do quick refills if doing one large area. You cannot stop in a flat area and start again without the break being noticed. Also make sure the adhesive covers the entire area evenly with no missed or dry spots. On trunk sides you might be able to touch up because they are fairly rough but on on the flat cardboard or smooth surfaces any misses or repair attempts will be seen.

Posted on: 2017/3/29 10:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved