Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Door handle falling off
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I posted this in the 55-56 section, but it may well apply to earlier years.

On my 55 Pat the D-side front door handle falls off at times. I believe this is due to two things: the internal spring which fits into a groove on the 4-sided pivot has gotten weak over the years and it is a poor design anyway.

This is my fix on my 55 Pat which will also be applied to my 56 Panther. Hopefully, others will find it useful.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Remove the original spring with a pair of needle nose pliars. It will come right out with some twisting.

The trick is to find a way to drill the access hole and the hole to-be-tapped. I chucked the handle up in my bench vice between a couple of wooden blocks. I used a portable hand drill to drill the holes. I used a 1/8in allen-head set screw which requires a 13/64 hole for the 1/4-20NC thread of the set screw. I ended up using a 7/32 drill instead due to the fact I was using the makeshift jig. The access hole is larger than the OD of the set screw threads, of course.

Just screw the allen-head set screw with the appropriate allen wrench into the hole and push the lever onto the 4-sided pivot and tighten it down by hand.

Hope this helps someone.

Craig

Posted on: 2017/3/30 21:30
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Re: Door handle falling off
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
We think alike and the fix works well. I used a smaller screw than you did. Decided a few days after the first post to take the handle off again to drill the small depression in the shaft at the mark so the screw would have a divot to bite into.http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=146304#forumpost146304

Posted on: 2017/3/30 22:03
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: Door handle falling off
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Howard,

Nice -- your jig is much better than my ad hoc wooden one. I missed your earlier thread and I figured someone had figured this out before, but "great minds think alike" LOL!

Craig

Posted on: 2017/3/31 1:03
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved