Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 191

Dennis Miller, Ross, portlandon, Ernie Vitucci, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Headlight switch. has anyone experienced this?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
Here is a new post to this thread I started a while back.
I did get my switch installed . All is good except I don't have dash lights . This is not good when driving at night. and I want the car to work as it should.
I stuck my head under the dash to look around etc. I had my test lamp. I thought I plugged a wire into the wrong spot.
of coarse now I can't remember what I did or did not do...? LOL
I would appreciate your advice.
I get no action when I move the fade switch.
so do I need to look at circuit breakers......
help
thanks

Posted on: 2017/5/4 15:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Did u test the sw. BEFORE installing it??

Posted on: 2017/5/4 16:20
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The dash lights are fed from the headlight switch doubled tail light terminal via a short jumper wire to the ceramic potion of switch. The rheostat is embedded in the ceramic. Output to the dash lights is via another wire from the rheostat center double terminal to a splice and on to the individual bulbs in the cluster. The second wire of the double terminal goes to the Ultramatic indicator light. There is a terminal on the opposite side of the ceramic which grounds when knob is turned to the left stop and is the switch for the front courtesy lights. No fuses -- the only protection is from the headlight circuit breaker.

The 51-6 switches have had issues with oxidation and corrosion building in the stacked up wiper contact plates located around the shaft in the center of the ceramic. Under the rivets which complete the connection between the metal bases of the terminals and the wiper parts or resistance wire is another area -- particularly if a terminal is slightly loose. If your wires are installed on the correct terminals and intact, I would not be surprised if corrosion was the issue.

If you have a switch that has sat either on the shelf or unused in a car for years, high resistance and poor contact at the wiper plates could be preventing the lights from working. Some contact cleaner and vigorous twisting of the knob may help but if corrosion is under the rivets it usually comes back.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.77 KB)
209_590b9d04ca008.jpg 790X486 px

jpg  (27.84 KB)
209_590ba9f80e6a0.jpg 678X252 px

Posted on: 2017/5/4 16:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved