Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
74 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 73

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Ultramatic Hard Shifting into Reverse
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
My 1953 Cavalier has an Ultramatic. It seems to be working fine, in general. It has a weeping rear seal which I intend to change soon (any advice on this?). When I first start the car the transmission shifts very softly into all the gears, as long as I make sure to kick the thing down to a slow idle. However, no matter how gentle I am with the car after it is warmed up, I experience a noticeable "clunk" when shifting into reverse. I put ATF into the thing when I first got it, I have been topping it off periodically with 'Type F'. Perhaps if I go through and completely change the transmission fluid this might help? Finally, has anyone had any luck with retrofitting something under the hood to check and fill the transmission. It is very difficult to check the transmission fluid otherwise.

Posted on: 2017/5/2 0:24
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic Hard Shifting into Reverse
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day JeromeSolberg,
to PackardInfo.

While waiting for a reply to your query, shouldn't be long, I invite you to include your '53 Cavalier in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/5/2 2:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Done! Thanks!

Posted on: 2017/5/2 2:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
That was quick! for including your '53 Cavalier Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry. Looks good!

Posted on: 2017/5/2 3:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Check first that you slow idle is down to about 500 rpm. If that does not help, the hard shift into reverse is probably due to wear of the rear band so I'd begin by adjusting the bands as per the shop manual.

The adjustments protrude from each side of the case just above the oil pan. They are the square headed bolts with lock nuts. Loosen the lock nuts and then tighten the adjusters to 20 ft-lbs. Then back them off 1 3/4 turns. Tighten the locknuts.

Posted on: 2017/5/2 6:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Finally, has anyone had any luck with retrofitting something under the hood to check and fill the transmission. It is very difficult to check the transmission fluid otherwise.

This subject has come up before but I don't believe anyone has done anything -- or at least I don't remember any posts showing how if there have been.

I have long thought that one of the flexible modern dipstick kits made by Lokar or Jegs could be adapted to the existing fill cap. Jegs kits are relatively inexpensive and seem to come in various lengths of the dipstick extending out of the transmission end of the tube.

To my mind it would start by getting another cap to modify or else use care modifying the original cap just in case someone might want to convert back.

Remove the rivet holding the existing dipstick to the cap and set that dipstick aside.
Drill a hole large enough for either the end of the new dipstick tube or possibly one of the threaded dipstick adapter fittings in the cap. If the tube is needing a press fit in a bushing, one might have to be made if an adapter is not available. Insert and secure the new dipstick tube.
Hold the old dipstick in position in the cap next to the new dipstick and mark the fill locations.
Finally, mount the other end to the firewall in the engine compartment on the left side of the engine in a similar location as was used with the 54 gearstarts.

There are several hard tube dipstick assys that could also be used but the advantage of using a flexible tube assy is no modifications are needed to mount something on the pan or if using the cap, an easier install. With a flexible tube the cap could be twisted and removed easily if you wanted to take advantage of the larger original fill opening at some point.

Posted on: 2017/5/2 9:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
Thank you I have the same problem. Although mine is a Mercedes rebuilt, clutch plate and torque converter. It always clunks into reverse, scary. I'll look into adjusting them as you said. I've never done this. If it is too hard I'll take it to a transmission place. Gulp.

Posted on: 2017/5/6 23:23
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good luck finding a transmission place that will work on an Ultramatic. Most modern shops don't want a thing to do with them because they are so different and parts are not available at the local supply house. I'm not sure I would take it to one either because there are very few that understand them and the wrong thing done can cause serious issues. The band adjustment is simple so you or your mechanic could adjust the bands with the instructions Ross gave but if something inside needs work then it becomes more of an issue..

You are fortunate to be relatively close to Santa Ana. Custom Auto Service at 302 French St. is the place to take a Packard for things that can't be handled locally (or your mechanic doesn't want to do). They have been repairing and restoring Packards for ages.

Posted on: 2017/5/7 0:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Thanks everyone for the help.

I'm planning on trying the band adjustment later this week or next weekend. Things have been busy!

Also I have an idea on the fill tube, will report back on that also.

Posted on: 2017/5/7 19:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
This is probably a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway:

The adjusters are square-headed bolts.

I have a torque wrench with the standard square drive (1/2" if I remember). What kind of attachment would I use for a square-head bolt?

Posted on: 2017/5/8 22:29
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved