Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1942 Model 2055 "160" no temp reading
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

auto.nut
See User information
This is another recent problem I am having with my 2055. I am getting no reading on my temperature gauge and this is not an electrical gauge!!
Boy this looks like it will be a huge headache to repair. Can anyone tell me how to remove the gauge from the instrument panel etc? Not looking forward to that with all the old wiring etc. There is absolutely nothing in the repair manual the discusses the temperature gauge. Also see nothing about removing the instrument panel anywhere.
Any help at all will be hugely appreciated.
Lee Noga

Posted on: 2017/5/11 13:47
 Top  Print   

Re: 1942 Model 2055 "160" no temp reading
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Back when car were simple like yours and mechanics did not need a computer to diagnose them they were apprenticed and learned. And used common sense, thus repair manuals were simple.

To remove the temp gauge you look under the dash and figure out what tool(s) you need, in this case probable a medium length screwdriver. Remove the necessary dash parts, then remove the gauge.

There is no wiring as the gauge is "mechanical", there is a "bulb' filled with ether in the left rear corner of the cyl head which needs to be removed, soak liberally with solvent/oil, likewise with the "bulb' as it is often stuck in the head. Then remove from vehicle and send to someone who advertises temp gauge repair.

When the eng heats up the ether expands, goes through the tube and moves the needle. simple

Posted on: 2017/5/11 14:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looking at the layout of the 40-42 conventional body instrument clusters I believe it will be the same as others except the instrument pairs are mounted in a vertical instead of horizontal orientation on the 42.

If the temp gauge has not been removed from the head in quite some time, I suspect the bigger issue is going to be removing the sensor bulb from the head without having it twist off. Rust, corrosion, and sediment can absolutely cement it in place. Use ample penetrating fluid on the nut threads and in the center where the cable enters. If it hasn't been out, I would suggest letting it soak for a day or so replenishing a couple of times before attempting removal. Can't say for certain on your head but if like the 47 356 head, I believe the threads for the sensor nut will be 5/8-18. An ordinary bolt found at the hardware will plug the hole if you need to have coolant in the engine while the gauge is out for repair.

Once the sensor portion is removed from the head, the bulb and tubing is pulled thru the dash ready for the next step. The instruments are held by mounting plates which screw to the cluster. On the Clipper the temp and oil gauge are together but I don't know if that is the same with the 160. At any rate, the wiring to the other instrument sharing the mounting plate will need to be disconnected and the mounting plate will then need to come off the cluster. A screw at each corner holds it to the cluster.

Once the plate is off then the temp gauge can be separated. It is held by a large nut. Once that nut is off the temp gauge should be free and tubing can be pulled thru the mounting plate and gauge sent off for repair.

Here is a Clipper orientation showing the back of cluster and how the gauge is mounted. It is the horizontal arrangement but suspect the 42 160 is the same with instruments on top and bottom instead of side by side.

Attach file:

jpg  (89.08 KB)
209_5914bb59cafcb.jpg 1200X755 px

Posted on: 2017/5/11 14:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Fred, I didn't know the fluid was an ether. Do you know the type? A caution because some ethers are both very volatile and inflammable (I'm sure that's not what's in there)

Posted on: 2017/5/11 14:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I believe all ether is flammable just like all gasoline. You're not sure what's in there, I am.

Posted on: 2017/5/11 14:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
so which ether is it? "ether ' is an entire class of chemicals, R-O-R'

Posted on: 2017/5/11 22:07
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

auto.nut
See User information
Well thanks guys for the replies. No fun as you know getting under the dash and to try and get to the screws if you can. The underneath of my dash is so crowded that I am not sure I can get my hand to where I have to get, in order to hole the screwdriver to remove screws. But have to do my best and tackle the job. I will let you know how I come out and offer any tips I might gain in the process.
Thanks/Lee

Posted on: 2017/5/13 13:56
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

auto.nut
See User information
Still assessing the daunting task of removing a temp gauge in a '42 Packard 160 model 2055. Surely there must be someone out there who has had to face this task. I would so much like to hear from someone who has done it. I do not want to get off on the wrong foot and damage more than I fix.
To remove the gauge by removing the four screws in back while the assembly is in place seems almost impossible. There must be a better way. Please help someone.
Lee Noga

Posted on: 2017/5/20 9:30
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved