Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Heater Control Valves
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I just came across a 1948-1950 NOS heater control valve in my stock of parts and while researching it, I notice that the Packard parts book lists different valves between 1951 and 1954 when I had always thought them to be the same. I've owned many Packards covering all these years but never noticed (or paid attention) to any differences so does anyone know what they might be?

Posted on: 2017/5/14 13:33
 Top  Print 

Re: Heater Control Valves
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As an addendum, I also noticed that the parts book lists only a handful of models and for some 1951, 1952 and 1953 models, it shows PA422406; for some 1954 models, it shows PA444644 but I am unaware of any firewall cutout or cable differences and do not understand why only a few models are listed for each when all had the heater available. I am looking in the Accessory section and perhaps the heater was standard equipment on the others but if so I could not locate it in the appropriate section of the parts book.

Posted on: 2017/5/14 14:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I know in 48-50 models they changed valve mfgs. Think the first were Eaton and believe they changed to Ranco. Believe there was a change in the capillary tube length and sensor bulb at that time. There was also a relocation of where the sensing bulb was mounted from the early 48s to the later cars. That position change is covered in a service article.

In 51-4 I vaguely remember reading of a change in the capillary sensing tube length or size which I believe was to make them more responsive. Don't remember where I read it to refer to the item to see if there were other changes. Since for 54 there was also a change in the heater distribution duct at the same time as a different valve there could be a change in the sensing tube location.

In 55-6 there was a definite change in sensing tube location. One valve was used with heater only and another if the car also had factory AC. The difference in those was the position of the body of the valve was rotated in relation to the hose connections and also the location of the capillary sensing tube on the body in order to accommodate the AC box and the revised position of the small air outlet which directed heated air over the capillary.

By 54 believe the heater was standard on all Packard models and maybe in previous years too. On Clippers it was optional but AFAIK, the units were the same item. I don't remember if the core was changed in 54 or if that waited until 55. I did the 54 Pacific and can't remember but think it was still like the older models.

On the 51-3 models for sure the core was positioned flat in the box with air coming up around the periphery and then redirected down thru the center of the core and into the car. It was kind of a choke point as far as airflow or volume. In 55 and maybe 54 the core was mounted on a slant and all air made one straight pass thru the core before entering the car.

Posted on: 2017/5/14 14:33
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Howard! That all makes good sense although it's still not clear why only a few models are listed as having a heater. No Patricians, for example, in the model list.

On the 1948 change from Eaton to Ranco, do you know when it happened? The parts book shows all 22nd and 23rd series as having the same part number and the NOS valve I found is Ranco series HB.

Attach file:

jpg  (385.19 KB)
60923_5918b3022a649.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/5/14 14:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The valve change was early so sometime in 48. I think Bob Neal mentioned it in his 22-23 series book but would have to go back and look.

As to why no 54 Patricians are listed, that may be an oversight. They did list the 5426 chassis which is the long wheelbase senior car. Interior and mechanical wise, all but identical to the Patrician so maybe they just forgot to list the 5406 chassis. They do list all the other passenger chassis.

Posted on: 2017/5/14 15:01
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The parts book lists only what seemed like a few models, for example for 1954, it has 5400, 5401, 5402, 5411, 5426 and 5431 but running a query against the model listing in my parts book database, I see it is missing only a few:

5413 HEARSE AND AMBULANCE
5433 AMBULANCE
5406 6 PASS, PACKARD PATRICIAN SEDAN

You're probably right that it was just an oversight and not the first error I've found during the digitizing process! Running the same query against the 1953 models, it is missing only the 127" and 156" wheelbase Henney non-passenger commercial vehicles.

Posted on: 2017/5/14 15:43
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved