Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
66 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 66

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: J6065 Tool
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
hot rod,

drill thru the seal retainer, you will see when you get it off, 1/4 inch nut fits in there.

the new timing cover you get, and packing kit, put it together ten drill the holes, double nut and lock tight and they should stay put!

Posted on: 2013/8/25 14:48
Riki
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
Got it. I'll let know how everything went. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2013/8/25 15:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Hot , rod,,

Mailed it,, 4 pounds,, US mail,, you might get it Saturday ,,

Posted on: 2013/8/26 10:21
Riki
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
Riki, got the cover off and I see what you mean about the 1/4 inch nuts holding the retainer in place. Do I drill thru the felt ring/gasket as well? It seems like I'll need about a 1/2 inch long screw to go thru the cover and retainer...is that about right? Also, since the cover appears to be made out of potted metal or aluminum of some kind, what precaution's do I need to take in drilling holes in it to keep it from cracking/splitting?

What's the easiest way to put the balancer back on the crankshaft? What can I use to lubricate/grease it so it'll slide on without having to beat it to beat and perhaps damage the oil pump?

Thanks again for your help.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 19:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
hot rod,

the rope retainer ,, you drill thru that, and timimg cover, center yourself in the slot.

if you use the new retainer, henry had a b, of a time getting it down, he used a coupling in that deep slot, and pressed it down,

up to you, if you go with the bolts, you can use your old retainer,

i always lube things, my model trains too much!,, but, i was brought up with lubriplate, but any grease will do. i would grease the rope and shaft.

i/2 inch bolt might be,, that too long ago, to remember, a poster from was going to nylon lock nuts, i think its too hot down there and in there. think they will break.

about the double nut, , it will not work, since you can't lock nut to nut, the nut is not going anywhere,, the bolt can back out, that's why my dad used the wire. but mine have never loosen.

a lock washer under the nut and loctite , should work, if you can find the bolts with holes in the head great, think these are aircraft, surplus stuff my dad got in the 60s,

hot rod you can figure it out,, just my in put.. i was going to send you some bolts, but wanted to get that tool in the mail. not sure where those bolts are right now...

Posted on: 2013/8/26 21:59
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What's the easiest way to put the balancer back on the crankshaft? What can I use to lubricate/grease it so it'll slide on without having to beat it to beat and perhaps damage the oil pump?

I wouldn't recommend using any lubricant. Just pack the snout of the crankshaft with a little dry ice for about 15 minutes and the balancer should slip right on. As to the front seal, using some small machine screws thru the cover and seal will secure it, but if the timing chain cover hasn't been damaged from a prior seal turning and damaging the cover, it's really not at all necessary. Using the new style seal retainer (the knurled one) with a bit of Locktite is all that's needed.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 22:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
The knurled one is a bitch to press in. I went through 2 of them. Packards1 on eBay has them. There is no way in hell the pressed in knurled one is going to spin. My smooth one I took out did spin easily.

The coupling I used for the balancer was really just a way of keeping the nut on the balancer installer from autozone where I could reach it. It was just a male/male conduit piece from lowes that I used. Should be steps and pics of all this in my blog. Although it may take some time for you to find it.

Dry ice is a good idea, woulda made mine way easier to get back on

Posted on: 2013/8/26 22:23
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
hot rod,,

you have options,,

Posted on: 2013/8/26 23:01
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard
See User information
Troy E. Taylor who owns Michiana Packard LLC does make this J-6065 Tool.I bought one from him few weeks ago

Posted on: 2017/5/19 3:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved