Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Asbestos in Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I have been doing a considerable amount of work under the dash of my '39 Six - front bench seat removed, laying on my back, facing up into the under-dash. At the top I can see a burlap-like stuffing or padding, if you will; I don't know if it is there for sound absorption or insulating purposes, or what, but as I move wires around and disturb it in any way, a lot of dust and fiber lets go and kind of 'rains' down on me. I didn't think much of it at first, but then the thought occurred to me, in 1939, could there be asbestos in it?? Does anybody know if Packard used any asbestos-based material in the stuffing, padding or matting components of their cars? Would sure be nice to know, one way or the other. If they didn't, fine, and if they did, what do folks generally do about it?? Removing it from under the dash would be a bear of a job, and yet I wouldn't be comfortable leaving it there either. Any definitive info on this much appreciated.

Posted on: 2017/5/22 19:17
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Re: Asbestos in Packards
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't think it contains any asbestos but Packard only said several different materials were used and identified the large pieces as scientifically constructed asphalt impregnated material. I didn't see any thing I was too concerned about and I removed just about all of it on the 47. To me it mostly looked like tarred felt or paper based material with an embossed outer texture.

I am wondering if the flakes and stuff falling down was rust and dirt collected over the years.

EDIT: Packard said 17 different materials were strategically placed in 39s but no description other than the roof and panel insulation.

Attach file:

jpg  (79.66 KB)
209_5923865d61774.jpg 912X740 px

Posted on: 2017/5/22 19:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I've only seen asbestos used as exhaust pipe covering in senior cars up to 1939 and in V12 muffler/exh system heat deflectors

Posted on: 2017/5/22 22:20
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
I had the same stuff under the dash of my "39, it made a huge mess. I ended up using my shop vac and then kept pulling chunks out with the Vac generally keeping the dust out. As I reassembled the car I used Dyna Mat for insulation, much cleaner and very effective.

Posted on: 2017/5/23 17:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thank you Fred & John. If nothing else, I am appeased that I have not been inhaling asbestos particles. I will probably wear a cup filter mask in the future anyway just to be safe, but I am glad I don't have an asbestos remediation task on my hands!! Appreciate your input.

Posted on: 2017/5/23 20:19
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved