Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 67 68 69 (70) 71 72 73 »

Re: Henry's 37 Limousine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I found a glass shop right here in my city, about 1 mile away, but I will have to call them to see if they do more then windshield replacements.

alternatively there is this website.

https://www.sandersreproglass.com/

they even do the etching of the logos and etc. they have the 138CD on file already.

I will call around locally first though. setting it on the channel would be something I've never done, so them doing it would be preferred.

getting the glass out is another story i'm sure.

Posted on: 2017/8/7 12:19
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sanders is who I used and they did a way better job than the local place I tried in Calif. The patterns were more accurate to the originals and the edges were far better in how they were ground.

Posted on: 2017/8/8 8:37
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Thanks Kev. I got the glass out last night and I can tell you someone did a poor job of cutting it, but it does fit.

sanders says the glass should be 16x22, but the one I took out was 14x21. and I barely had just enough wiggle room to pull it out from the top without removing the wing window. I just had to remove the window channeling from the door handle side of the door. it was just held in by press fit and one screw. the joys of aftermarket replacement type stuff.

since the glass I took out worked fine before, i'm going to have them just cut the new one the same, this way I can get it back in the same way I took it out. with the new channeling they installed before me, it will be impossible to get a 22" wide window in there I can tell you that.

it had been in there for years as it was not the easiest to get out of the support bar that ran along the bottom. the rubber cushion that ran in the bar was pretty petrified and stuck.

one thing I found funny....the window had etched in the corner.....SHAT-R-PROOF. HAHAH they said shat! lmao. it was the only window that had any etching on it still, the rest were blank.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.51 KB)
491_5989d6189cc4f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (17.54 KB)
491_5989d6b5e8501.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2017/8/8 10:21
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hank - IIRC, side glass on these cars was laminated like the windshield. Later, tempered glass was used. Not sure when this happened, but it may have been to save weight while still providing shatter proof protection.

I find your experiences with this Packard to be interesting. I am not surprised you are finding unusual problems. Many people had their hands on this car for many years and anything could have been done with their fixes.

Please keep the adventure stories coming.

Thanks - JWL

Posted on: 2017/8/8 10:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Since laminate safety glass was not marked with trademarks in 1937 and before, the fact that you found a trademark of the piece you removed tells you that that piece of glass was already a replacement of an original.

Posted on: 2017/8/8 10:29
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Yes it is laminated. It has the thin plastic inbetween the two pieces of glass. only thing holding it together right now actually.

you're right, lots of people jacking with this car. hopefully I'm heading in the right direction to correct at least most of it, but then again whoever owns it 50 years from now may find my methods sloppy as well. oh well, drive and enjoy it.

I figured this was a replacement window as the edge cut was HORRIBLE on the side of the glass. I do know my Grandfather had some glass replaced at one point, I believe it was the wing windows in the rear actually. I have written evidence of this.

I also have a small crack in one of the rear wing windows, but as that seems to be much harder to get to and take apart...i'll live with it. taking apart the framing to get to the glass scares me on those wing windows, considering the rarity of their size. I may have a glass shop try to stop the spread of the crack. it is small right now and has not spread. it was there when I got the car and it originates from the latching mechanism.

I was thinking about using just black RTV to set the new glass in the bottom channel. originally it looks like it was a thin sheet of rubber. any reason why black RTV wouldn't serve it's purpose the same? other then its not correct.

Posted on: 2017/8/8 10:35
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I was thinking about using just black RTV to set the new glass in the bottom channel.

Not a good idea! Use the correct traditional material.

Posted on: 2017/8/8 10:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
figured. its just a thin sheet of fiber rubber, folded into a U shape and stuffed into the channel. It was to sandwich the glass in there.

have no idea if that is proper. I guess I better go look at Steele....or maybe I can just find a rubber sheet somewhere cheap.

hell maybe the glass shop has something, idk. I was just trying to use what I had on hand. I'm no glass setting expert.

Posted on: 2017/8/8 10:46
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Restoration Specialties has glass setting tape and I expect your local glass shop will have it too.. It is a slightly compressible but a not too stretchy material and comes in various thicknesses in both all rubber and rubber-cork compositions. Packard used the rubber and you need to get the correct thickness for the glass and width of the channel combination you have (or will have). Too thick and the glass will never fit and will probably break as you try to get it in. Too thin and the glass will fall out.

Posted on: 2017/8/8 11:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
thanks Howard, knowing the proper terminology is helpful.

glass setting tape....easily found. will measure old tape thickness.

Posted on: 2017/8/8 14:04
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 67 68 69 (70) 71 72 73 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved