Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 147

humanpotatohybrid, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

air filter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
I look at lots of pictures in reference to out cars. I see pictures of packardairfilters where the filter or mesh is above the rim of the filter body.
i have a 1952 200 umatic and my filter is enclosed in the body and the top sits tight on the body.
Why are some different?
tim

Posted on: 2017/8/13 3:58
 Top  Print 

Re: air filter
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Correct filters for 1951/52. If yours is different then it's not original to the car.

Attach file:

jpg  (132.26 KB)
177_59904d9188044.jpg 595X1000 px

Posted on: 2017/8/13 8:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
thanks OD,
my car looks most like the first ex. but the top fits snug against the body with no exposed filter.
so how does the carb get enough air? does it get enough air?
I will ad this to my list of 'things to do'.

Posted on: 2017/8/13 16:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Maybe your filter is missing the metal gauze filter on the top of the housing??
I don't know if there is a paper filter one could substitute for the oiled gauze original filter or not.

John

Posted on: 2017/8/13 17:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
I was not accurate in my description of my assembly.
it is true my set up does not have a guaze filter at the top. just the oiled metal filter inside. MY LID DOES NOT SIT FIRMLY ON THE BODY AS I DESCRIBED.

Posted on: 2017/8/13 18:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
I was not accurate in my description of my assembly.
it is true my set up does not have a guaze filter at the top. just the oiled metal filter inside. MY LID DOES NOT SIT FIRMLY ON THE BODY AS I DESCRIBED.

Posted on: 2017/8/13 18:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
You have the standard '52 oil bath filter. For that year it did not reach over the engine as the earlier and later ones did. It was just a round pot with oil in the base and filter mesh in the top portion.

If I recall, those did have a felt pad on the inside of the lid. Be certain that has not come loose and fallen so that it obstructs airflow into the carb. Take the car for a ride without the air filter and see what happens.

Posted on: 2017/8/13 18:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I just returned from Hilo last week and could have looked at it if you had posted sooner! Anyway, I have seen two different round filters but am not sure if they were from the same year so the upper photo of OD's images are what you probably should have. Perhaps submitting a photo will help.

Posted on: 2017/8/14 0:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hmmmm, My 1951, 200 has the correct air cleaner as pictured as #1, but the long screw extending out that clamps the air cleaner to the top of the carb (pix 1) is different...on my air cleaner the clamp to tighten and loosen the air cleaner is accessed with a screw driver and is located under the air cleaner and right up next to the air intake of the carb. It's not an issue but perhaps a small change from my setup to a more convenient on/off scenario that only requires the finger tightening of the extended clamp screw vs., the need for a screw driver?

Posted on: 2017/8/14 9:28
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My '51 to '53 Packards and Packard Clippers have all had the locking handle but my 1954s are Patricians so, of course, have a completely different cleaner. I'll be at my Oregon shop next week very briefly so will try to see what type those I still have might be.

Posted on: 2017/8/15 17:28
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved