Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: air filter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
pix of my air filter 1952 200

Attach file:

jpg  (292.89 KB)
3795_599b41de9007a.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (241.72 KB)
3795_599b4208d9378.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/8/21 15:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
There are 2 different kinds of air cleaners. The first is the mesh type. It has a filter medium of metal mesh like kitchen scrubbing pads. You coat it with oil by pouring oil on it, let the excess drip off, and put it back on. As the air flows through the little passages the dust and dirt sticks to the oily mesh.

The other kind is more efficient but more expensive. It is called the oil bath type. If you took the top off and looked inside you would see a reservoir. It is supposed to have about an inch of 50 motor oil in it. There should be a line and the words "Level" or "fill to here" or similar.

In this type, the air first goes down, and strikes the surface of the oil before reversing and flowing up through the filter medium. Most of the dirt gets stuck in the oil bath. The rest gets stuck in the filter which is soaked in oil.

Tim you have the more expensive, and more effective, oil bath filter. They were offered as an extra cost option on the cheaper cars, standard equipment on the expensive models.

Either of these will last the life of the car. The oil bath is more effective. It only requires servicing every 10,000 miles or so. More in dusty service, but today, if you drive on paved roads and don't live in a desert it seldom needs service.

I can tell you very easily how to service either one if you wish.

Posted on: 2017/8/21 18:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
It would be useful to have, somewhere, the procedure for servicing the oil bath filter. The 1951-54 Service manual just has a recommendation for cleaning the filter and the grade of oil. I would like to know how to service the unit without making a mess, if at all possible.

Thanks so much!

Jerome

Posted on: 2017/8/21 23:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
I cleaned my air filter and the mesh, oiled it again and filled with oil to the proper level. so that is all good.

Posted on: 2017/8/22 15:04
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When I service my oil bath filters I use charcoal lighter fluid as a solvent instead of kerosene. It's got the same or better solvency and is almost odorless - makes the job much more pleasant. For the oil fill, SAE 50 non-detergent is almost always on the shelf at the local NAPA.

Posted on: 2017/8/22 15:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
hey, thanks for the advice on the charcoal lighter fluid.
I will remember that. simple, available and not expensive.what more could one want?>???

Posted on: 2017/8/23 14:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
To service an oil bath air cleaner-

Remove the filter unit from the top. Check the oil reservoir. If it is more than half full of dirt it needs to be serviced. If not top up the oil to the line indicated and put the top back on. Use 50 motor oil.

If it needs to be serviced swish the filter in a pan of cleaning solvent, kerosene or Varsol. Let it drip dry. Do not blow compressed air through it, that can make channels in the filter medium.

Syphon out the old oil and wipe out with cotton waste or rags. When clean, refill with 50 weight oil.

Pour a little oil over the filter medium and reinstall the filter.

In normal service, on good paved roads, this only needs to be done every 10,000 miles or so. However you should check it when you do an oil change and grease job or tuneup.

In dry dusty conditions, driving on dirt roads, service will be needed more frequently. In the most extreme conditions it might be necessary weekly or even daily. But I doubt anyone would drive their Packard hard over dirt roads, desert or construction detours these days.

Posted on: 2017/8/24 15:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I should add, it only takes about half a pint to fill the oil bath. 1 quart of 50 weight oil will last for years and years.

Posted on: 2017/8/25 13:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
How about this from a Popular Science, Jan. 1951.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (96.75 KB)
1003_59a1c45e783ec.jpg 565X845 px

jpg  (82.32 KB)
1003_59a1c4689913d.jpg 575X847 px

jpg  (77.93 KB)
1003_59a1c475e5f0d.jpg 573X841 px

Posted on: 2017/8/26 13:57
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved