Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 135

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Dash Panel Work
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

50Cal
See User information
I have started work on '49 and '50 straight eights dash and instruments for the first time and am wondering if the complete instrument panel with all gauges, speedO, and clock can be removed as a unit? Has anyone done this or is all work on the gauges done from under and behind the dash?

Cal

Posted on: 2017/8/31 0:16
 Top  Print 

Re: Dash Panel Work
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The cluster or panel can be removed but as you can see it may be hard to reach some fasteners with the dash in the car.

It has been a long time since I took one apart but IIRC, to remove the entire instrument side panel from the dash there are studs on the corners at the top and screws on the bottom tabs (circles). You may also need to loosen the steering column bracket. If you do it this way take note of any shims or cloth anti squeak material at the fastening locations. I believe the cluster itself was held to the panel by studs from the chrome piece passing thru the panel and cluster with nuts on the rear (arrows) but a tiring memory may prove that wrong.

There are some clips and brackets the wire loom may be wrapped around so the amount the cluster can come forward may be very limited unless some wiring is disconnected. If original, the loom is stiff and rubber and fabric insulation is probably very hard and brittle and can crack or break if the wiring is disturbed too much. Take care a large chunk doesn't fall off and leave a bare wire.

Attach file:

jpg  (78.20 KB)
209_59a830370f14c.jpg 1200X560 px

jpg  (98.63 KB)
209_59a8304251c4c.jpg 950X713 px

jpg  (121.32 KB)
209_59a8304cf1d72.jpg 1481X765 px

Posted on: 2017/8/31 10:54
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: Dash Panel Work
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

50Cal
See User information
Howard,
Thanks, I did not think it would be easy, but one can be optimistic sometimes. I will have to decide whether or not the small amount of work I need to do is worth the effort. Doubtful.

Cal

Posted on: 2017/8/31 12:11
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved