Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: advice on 1952 performance
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
For reference, according to contemporary road tests your car would have had a top speed of 90 - 95 MPH. Tom McCahill did some top speed tests on Packard's world famous proving ground and said 'don't think they are deadheads on the road because they definitely are not' even though they did not quite have the performance of the new V8s their competitors were sporting.

Posted on: 2017/9/3 0:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
yesterday i did a vac test on my packard. i studied 'how to ' on youtube.
tell me what you think.
i connected the vac tube to the vac line which leads to the vac adv on the distrib. i had a STEADY read of 19inHg.
when i revved the engine and held it steady the reading stayed constant and steady.
this should be a good read .....right...?
thanks.

this wkend i am going to check the centrif adv on the distrib.
thanks.

how do you guys take a vac reading?
once i remember taking a reading from the fuel pump side of the car.???? i do remember the needle had a lot of vibratrion.

thanks

Posted on: 2017/9/8 15:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
19 is pretty good but I always take mine from the intake manifold which would be the tube that is on the OUT port of the vacuum pump. The vacuum advance could be coming from a slightly different place and may not quite follow the intake manifold reading. There has been some discussion on the forum that the carb advance port location is closed off or reduced under certain throttle conditions. The intake manifold will provide a true reading all the time.

Posted on: 2017/9/8 16:13
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The most meaningful vacuum measurements are those taken directly from the intake manifold.

Posted on: 2017/9/8 17:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
hey thanks for the info. i will test again and compare.

Posted on: 2017/9/9 4:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
i did a reading again from the line that goes from behind the carb,(between the carb and firewall) on the intake portion, which leads down to the fuel pump.
the reading i got was 19 and when i accelerated it went up to a steady 20.
thanks

Posted on: 2017/9/9 16:02
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sounds good, a healthy engine in a good state of tune should give a steady reading of 18 to 20 inches of vacuum at idle.

Posted on: 2017/9/9 16:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
GOOD NEWS. i finally made some progress on my packard. I was able to go on a long drive yesterday at speeds up to 65mph with no hesitation or acceleration issues. WOW.
With the help of this forum etc i went back to the distributor and cleaned etc . I repaired the ground wire quite some time ago and i even reworked it again. Because of something i read somewhere i finally just scrapped the orig. I could not find a new one so i used the one connector from the orig and made a new wire.
I think i am finally on the correct path.
I will do more checking and tuning and will go for another drive.
thanks for all your help
t

Posted on: 2017/9/26 13:30
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you mean the internal cloth covered ground wire in the distributor is what was replaced just be aware that wire is a special very fine stranded ultra flexible wire. If you completely replaced it and used ordinary hookup type wire it will be too stiff. With the continued movement of the points plate caused by the vacuum advance the wire being very short will eventually fatigue and break. How eventually depends on if there is one point that takes the majority of the flexing.

If your distributor is the type where the advance rotates the entire distributor and the wire is external then there is a bit more leeway but the wire is still subject to breaking if there is any one place that takes the majority of the bending.

If you have a Napa store here are some different length offering they had available a few years ago. I know some but maybe not all are still available but would probably need to be ordered in. If no Napa stores in Hawaii the other stores should be able to cross with something comparable.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.71 KB)
209_59caa1ef251bc.jpg 723X600 px

Posted on: 2017/9/26 13:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
yes, howard. i have read about these replacements on this site . i have been to napa and online , no luck.....
i have been to some other local stores as well.
I am going to call some mainland vendors.
if i find a source i will let you know.

Posted on: 2017/9/26 14:16
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved