Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 138

Packard Newbie, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: 47 Overdrive
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A good solution for the day but the repair you did in your photo just above that old method I think is the easier for today. Just buy a readily available two screw 5/16" split shaft collar from McMaster or MSC or maybe even locally. It is easy to remove a screw to separate the pieces and place the collar over the cable. A bonus is being round it is blends in with the knob assy relatively well.

Attach file:

jpg  (10.32 KB)
209_59d8e2e7a72a0.jpg 360X338 px

Posted on: 2017/10/7 9:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

flyntgr
See User information
Thanks to everyone who has commented or otherwise contributed to answer my questions. I presume that the O.D. is engaged by PULLING the knob until it is at a stop? My O.D. has not been removed or messed with, but neither has it been pulled out from the dash. So I wonder if that means the O.D. cable or the O.D. itself is messed up somehow. Perhaps I will unbolt the driveshaft on one end and take the car to a transmission shop for diagnosis and repair. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2018/2/5 23:30
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
To have OD operation you need the knob all the way in to move the lever on the OD case so the gears can engage. It also closes a switch at the end of the knob bracket so the governor can energize the relay when it reaches 0D speed of around 20mph. Knob out opens the switch and keeps the relay from coming in plus locks the overdrive gears mechanically into a solid unit just like it wasn't there.

To check the cable operation look at the lever on the passenger side for an R9 and the drivers side for an R11. When it is locked out the lever will be pulled forward almost to its stop. When knob is in and OD is possible the lever will be pushed toward the rear with the end of the lever well past center.

If the knob is pushed in and OD doesn't work it could be an electrical or mechanical problem but it could also be the cable housing has pushed out of the bracket under the dash instead of moving the lever.

Posted on: 2018/2/5 23:40
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Howard, just one more way to fix the overdrive cable. I found this while looking at the many pictures that I have taken and never noticed it before. So if you can't install the clamp this looks like the next best fix.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (216.59 KB)
1003_5afb87ca0ed0c.jpg 1536X2048 px

Posted on: 2018/5/15 20:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have of those for sale on my site below but not sure if it's the same as yours.

Posted on: 2018/5/18 22:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Good to know, but this is from my parts car and I thought that I would pass this on as a quick fix ideal.
Wes

Posted on: 2018/5/19 14:51
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved