Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Gear selector stuck
Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
The Ultramatic gear selector on my 56 Clipper Deluxe is stuck in park.

The problem is in the steering column as the linkage is disconnected at the lower lever of the column. The selector lever will not pull back to move from the park position. There is a little movement forward. The lever will move back and forth within the park position.

From the parts diagram, it looks like the selector lever pushes down on the inner tube which has a spring, 3.3297, at the end. In that case it could be that the old grease introduced in the lower lever, 3.3276, is hard and is keeping the inner tube from moving down.

Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks

Posted on: 2017/4/28 18:38
 Top  Print 

Re: Gear selector stuck
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know if the shift tube moves up and down but it has been a long time since I had one apart. The problem may be inside the car. When you pull back the lever there is a tang on the end that is pulled away from a slot in the bottom of the round cast piece just below the steering wheel where the turn signal switch is mounted.

Once the tang is clear of the slot, moving the lever rotates the tapered part of the column which is keyed to the shift tube so the whole assy turns and moves the lever at the other end.

There are two thin square head bolts which if I remember correctly go thru a space in the tapered rotating piece to fit in small rectangular openings on the top of the outer column to hold the top casting on the tube. If one of those has loosened it could possibly be cocked and binding keeping the tapered part from turning.

There are two other places where something could have loosened. Under the rubber cover at the base of the dash is the mechanism for the gear indicator needle. That has a tang which fits in an opening in the shift tube and as the tube rotates, a piece the indicator needle is attached to is made to slide in another piece to move the needle. That sliding piece may be binding.

Also the neutral safety switch on the engine side of column near the firewall is connected to the lever or shift tube. Something could be out of whack preventing rotation. I vaguely remember a small link connecting to the switch and if that is out of place could be an issue.

Posted on: 2017/4/28 19:35
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Yes, the shift tube must be able to move up and down as well as turn. You could try heating the lower end with a heat gun and then work some PB Blaster in, paying special attention to where the lever pokes out at the lower end.

That failing you'll have to remove the column and take it apart. I've never seen one seize up, but it might have gotten some water into it.

Posted on: 2017/4/29 6:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
I had the same problem when my 53 Clipper was asleep for 7 1/2 years. The tow truck driver took out the cotter pin in the linkage and moved it back 2 positions to be able to move the car out of the garage onto the tow truck. Once it moved I guess the problem solved because he put it back as it was supposed to be and since then no problem.

Posted on: 2017/4/29 9:23
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
There was a set of factory Service Bulletins issued regarding this problem. Can sometimes occur when linkage is worn or out of adjustment. More rare with a 1956 transmission since the arm on the transmission itself was changed in shape. But things happen over time.

Easy quick fix is simply to reach under the car from the driver's side (with the exhaust cool) and simply push up firmly on the linkage (make sure the car is preferably not on a hill and be sure the parking brake is working and engaged). Usually pops right out of Park position.

I've seen many people try to King-Kong their selector lever into submission when stuck like this... even to the point of bending it into the shape of a letter "J"... but the simple method usually works the best.

Posted on: 2017/4/30 8:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
Thanks for all the ideas.

Since I have been chasing a lot of hardened grease from sitting the past 40 years, I was hoping that it could be the problem at the bottom of the column by the lower shift lever. I'm still working to get it all out and be able to put in new grease.

I was hoping not to have to take off the steering wheel as I expect it will cause the cap to be damaged.

I checked the gear indicator and it is not an issue. Neither is the neutral safety switch.

The linkage isn't the issue as it has been removed.

The arm on the transmission, while it isn't connected to the column selector, moves positively to each specific position.

I guess I have to take off the wheel.

Posted on: 2017/4/30 13:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
Here is an update.

I removed the steering wheel and turn signal flange to look at the selector lever. The selector lever looks fine, however the gear position detents on the bottom of the turn signal flange have been worn down about an eighth of an inch. I guess there has been a problem with the selector lever for a long time. Attached is a picture of the detent wear.

There is a tab attached to the inner tube which the selector lever goes into. There is only a small amount of wear in it. It must be stronger then the detents.

I removed the steering column and the gear selector flange. Based on the parts diagram it looks like there is a tab attached to the inner tube which engages with the lower gear selector arm. In order to be able to remove the inner tube with all the attached tabs it seems that it should be removed from the top. There is a support and positioning piece for the inner tube at the bottom of the outer column which none of the tabs can pass through.

Thus far I haven't been able to get the inner tube to move.

Has anyone taken one of these columns apart and can provide ideas and suggestions?

Thanks.

Attach file:

jpg  (119.55 KB)
110960_59ab34523e825.jpg 1280X1034 px

Posted on: 2017/9/2 17:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I haven't taken one of those columns apart but did you remove the piece mid column that works the dash sector indicator needle? I think that has a prong which slips into the tube.

I believe but won't swear that some 56 Studebakers used virtually the same column with the difference being cosmetic and a different gear shift indicator. If so here are some instructions on disassembly from the 56 Stude SM that might help.

Attach file:

jpg  (305.14 KB)
209_59ab4c43d39fd.jpg 1295X1920 px

Posted on: 2017/9/2 19:27
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
Howard, thanks for the Studebaker instructions.

I took the steering column apart. It was not an easy task as there was a lot of old hardened grease. I ended up trying to dissolve the old grease and pounding on the inner tube. It certainly did not just "pull" as listed in the Studebaker instructions. Here is a picture of the shaft spring, retainer, and housing with the old grease. It would appear that this did not get properly lubricated. My other '56 has grease all over and the shift lever moves with no problem.

It is interesting to see that the Packard parts diagrams show the spacer above the shaft spring housing and the Studebaker diagram shows it below. On both of my '56s the spacer was installed below the shaft spring housing. I have decided to reassemble the column with the spacer bafore the spring, as shown in the parts book. While moving the shift lever wil now require a little more force to also move the spacer, the spacer will apply more even force on the spring. I also expect less grease to get in the spring housing. The second picture shows the reassembled column.

After this project, I would suggest that everyone make sure that they grease that lower shifter lever.

Thanks for all the help, suggestions, and information.

Attach file:

jpg  (109.78 KB)
110960_59e58e2d34194.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (336.24 KB)
110960_59e58e467d732.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/10/16 23:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
On installation of the steering column, I found what may be the reason for the spacer being located below the spring housing. The screws that hold the neutral safety and backup light switch hit the spring housing as it is a larger diameter than the spacer. I opted to shorten the screws a little rather than completely disassemble the column to change the location of the spacer.

Posted on: 2017/11/2 11:52
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved