Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: rough running at high engine speeds
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Two thoughts: (1) new coil connection, and (2) the affect of closer point setting.

When you replaced the coil did you connect the positive (+) terminal to the distributor? An incorrectly connected coil can cause performance problems. The Packard uses a positive grounded electrical system. Your battery should be positive ground unless someone has changed it to negative ground.

The closer point setting will allow a bit more dwell and more time for the coil to re-energize. You may have a bad coil, even if it is new.

Good luck. JWL

Posted on: 2017/10/25 11:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Well, knowing what we now know, checking the distributer bushings for excessive wear seems in order. If it needs rebushing, there are plenty of places that can do this for you, but it's not a particularly difficult job to do yourself. See the enclosed which I wrote some years ago, rebushing an Autolite unit from a 22nd Series Custom 8:

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=860

Posted on: 2017/10/25 15:20
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

prentice672
See User information
The plugs are Champion UY6. I pulled one of them yesterday thinking I'd replace them since I was grasping at straws with this rough running thing. I've attached a picture. I don't think it looks bad. When I bought the car I noticed a lot of black soot near the exhaust pipe on the garage floor. The mileage was pretty crappy so I did a little research and found that service counselor on the swapped manifold gaskets and indeed mine had been swapped. So I corrected that and I did notice a little bit better gas mileage.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.87 KB)
136562_59f12e9f9c520.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2017/10/25 19:40
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

prentice672
See User information
Well, I was about to order a new distributor and I still might.

Posted on: 2017/10/25 19:58
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

prentice672
See User information
Yes, I went through the whole coil thing and it was hooked up correctly. I even took the coil out of my '50 Ford (also positive ground) and hooked it up to the Packard and it still ran crappy, so it's not the new coil.

Posted on: 2017/10/25 20:03
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

prentice672
See User information
Do I have to have the distributor in a vice to test the bushing? I tried to move the point cam side-to-side while it was on the engine and couldn't feel any movement. I was thinking of just replacing the entire distributor since I really don't have the tools to do the things you describe in the article.
I know the Packard training document I have says to remove the distributor to replace the points but I've never done that and never remember anybody ever doing that back in the day. Is it hard to pull the distributor out? Do I just remove the wire to the coil and the bolt that I loosen when I set the timing? Or is there more to it?

Posted on: 2017/10/25 20:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
No slop as u describe then distributor should be ok.

Posted on: 2017/10/25 20:39
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you wish to remove the distributor:

- Remove the cap with the wires intact.
- Remove the primary wire.
- Remove the vacuum line at the vacuum advance.
- Remove the hold-down bolt or bolts.
- Take note of the rotor position
- Lift the distributor out. Avoid rotating the engine until it has been replaced with the rotor in the same position.

Posted on: 2017/10/25 21:18
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

prentice672
See User information
Sounds fairly simple, thanks.

Posted on: 2017/10/25 22:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hi prentice 672
I'm sorry you've had a hard time solving your issue, it's vexing at best........but, I find that there is a wealth of information and critical thinking in this thread. Most everybody will "probably" have a common complaint with one of these ignition components. The suggestions from other knowledgeable members do clearly show the interdependence and syncing of the ign, gas, exhaust, etc., necessary to get our cars moving. This primer should be copied and stored with all the important papers concerning our car to be referred to when it happens to us. This is the true value of this Forum, the helping of each other and the advancing of the mechanical curve in or learning. Thank you all.
Steve

Posted on: 2017/10/26 10:38
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved