Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 166

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

352 Distributor/trans Question.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Hello I have a packard 352 engine and I have some questions so I can get my Packard running. Its a 55. And mated to a twin ultramatic. I got this engine with no distributor. Firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 The distributor needed is a Delco 1110854 and I have all the specs on request. The Packard is also a ground POSITIVE car.

Are any aftermarket distributors available in points or hei system? I've read on other forums of GM hei conversions/adapting with pontiac/olds distributors with the current packard distributor. But I don't have a DISTRIBUTOR.. So?

Question/concern#2.
I want to run a th400 behind the Packard v8. I've seen adapter kits for around 800. I've also been following the thread on the HAMB on making your own transmission adapters. So I want to make/blueprint my own then take that to a mom and pops metal shop to get it cut. Any advise? Adapters, plates, bellhousing cuts/swaps I can provide any info you need on the Packard to help.

Option 2 and most wanted would be a manual transmission, this is a torquey engine keep that in mind.
Thanks Alot

Posted on: 2017/11/5 4:08
 Top  Print 

Re: 352 Distributor/trans Question.
Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I am not sure whether anyone offers a replacement distributor for the Packard 352 Emgine . I assume Jack Vines who contributes regularly to the site would know. You can always call Jegs or Summit Racimg if you really want one.
There are plenty of distributors floating around and Kanter offers them used or rebuilt. Might be a good idea for you to request their catalog for the 55-56 Packard for Amy other parts you may need, Max Merritt catalog is also a good thing to have handy. Both outfits have just about anything you need and are always helpful.
You should get a number for Mike Delimsky, Southwest Packard ,Tucson Packard and Joel Ray who do not have catalogs but offer parts....sometimes at cheaper prices.
If you call Steele Rubber they will send a catalog of any rubber parts for your specific car.
You may want to buy the service manual and parts manual and service bullitins. While they are.available on this site, it is handy to have them available when you are actually working on the car for immediate access.

If you go with the stock distributor, you can buy a Petronix electronic ignition module and coiled which I have done for all of my old cars. The units are available on Amazon and are frequently offered on eBay.

I never worked on a Packard until opting to buy the 55 Caribbean and will admit that the car has been a challenge since there are no restoration guides as exist for Vettes, Mustangs and Mopar.....and parts are becoming harder to find since there is not a large reproduction market. As a result you have difficulty in finding people able to repair a car that few under the age of 60 have ever seen. Parts are expensive.

I do not know what you plan to do with your vehicle but while
it is better engineered than the Fords, Chevies and Mopars of the era, you cannot expect to be able to find every part as readily and doing the transmission conversions that are so easy in a 57 Chevy with all the conversion parts readily available may be more tham you expect...and more expensive.

The people on this forum and the parts people mentioned have helped immensely. Do your homework and have fun.
RJR

Posted on: 2017/11/5 4:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Whippersnapper55 Quote:
...Option 2 and most wanted would be a manual transmission...

I have a B-W T-10 4-speed in my Panther (originally 56 Clipper Super with T-U). This is a non-trivial conversion. You need original MT bellhousing & flywheel. I went with a RAM hydraulic clutch rather than the "Rube Goldberg" Packard parts. A Chevy 3-finger 11in clutch will bolt up. You also have to modify the T-U crossmember or find an original MT. A modified or custom driveshaft is also required. I got 2 T-10s in order to make one good one. You can modify a Summit or Hurst floor shift to make it work. See these pages on my website for some details:

http://1956packardpanther.com/Panther/4SpeedManual.html
http://1956packardpanther.com/Panther/floorShifter.html

Good luck.

Craig

Posted on: 2017/11/5 7:30
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Almost an absolute certainty that Mike Dulinski would have a distributor.

Posted on: 2017/11/5 11:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Thanks for the lead Owen.
Thanks alot Craig I will read those right now.

My 352 calls for the Delco distributor correct? Will the autolite interchange?.

Any tips?

Posted on: 2017/11/6 18:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Thanks so much Ewreks. I have a lot of homework to do indeed

Posted on: 2017/11/6 18:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The Autolite and Delco distributors will interchange though the advance curves may differ slightly. Just check the specifications for the details.

Posted on: 2017/11/6 19:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Anyone selling a manual transmission bellhousing?

Besides Packards in 55/56 what other cars and company came with manual transmions so I can hunt one down?

Thanks guys.

Posted on: 2017/11/6 20:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Gerry.

Pac sw...have them....

Posted on: 2017/11/6 21:47
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Thanks riki I should of know lol

Posted on: 2017/11/6 23:52
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved