Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 100

‘29 633 Mel, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Brake M/C Rebuild Kit Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Hello all,

I recently began the rebuild of my brake master cylinder. After getting my unit disassembled, I noticed a couple differences between what I have and what came in the kit. In the picture, the old piston is on the left, replacement on the right. You can see that the replacement has a copper disk covering the holes; I presume to act as a one way valve. Is this ok? Also, the kit came with a relatively thick rubber washer, as seen between the two pistons. My master cylinder didn't have a corresponding washer. Where does it go? Thanks for the insight in advance!

-Mark

P.S. - that rebuild kit is from rockauto.com, listed for $12.08 right now...Kanter wants $12 just for the dust boot/bellow!

Attach file:

jpg  (43.00 KB)
19454_5a02fb6e9c1d0.jpg 576X432 px

Posted on: 2017/11/8 7:36
 Top  Print 

Re: Brake M/C Rebuild Kit Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Be careful with Rockauto parts, good price, but may not be correct parts in box. I have had to return some because the wrong parts in box.
Wes

Posted on: 2017/11/8 10:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
For the 1" master cylinder, I have been using Napa UP2 rebuild kit for years. Parts look similar.

Attach file:

jpeg  (10.15 KB)
385_5a0330d4210d7.jpeg 400X400 px

Posted on: 2017/11/8 11:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The thick rubber washer is the first item to go into the cylinder and rests in the outlet end. It seals the check valve to the cylinder body when the spring pushes against that. Chances are your old one is still lurking in there and you will have to pull it out with a hook.

Posted on: 2017/11/8 13:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Thanks for the comments, especially the bit about the rubber washer, Ross. Wes, I've had the same issues with them before as well, which can be very frustrating, and the main reason I figured I'd ask the experts here! And good to know that Napa carries the kit as well.

Any comments on the copper disk on the piston?

I'm sure it will need to be honed out, and that it's been honed before... what's the maximum inner diameter for the bore?

Posted on: 2017/11/8 21:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you find it is too worn to be serviceable after honing, brand new masters from Kanter may be a better approach than sleeving.

Posted on: 2017/11/8 21:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I'm thinking the repair manuals only allowed something like .004 of an inch for honing on a wheel cylinder or master cylinder.....
John

Posted on: 2017/11/8 21:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
OD - I apologise for the bluntness, but why? It looks like brass or stainless steel are used for sleeving, which would eliminate the corrosion concern. The cost of sleeving looks cheaper than what Kanter is asking as well. Is there another factor I am overlooking?

John - thank you for that, I would have thought it would be a greater tolerance.

Posted on: 2017/11/10 1:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps it was bad information but several folks have told me that a brand new master cylinder with guarantee was only a couple of $ more than sleeving.

Posted on: 2017/11/10 9:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Usually if they are pitted much at all you can't get them honed out. Don't quote me on the .004, but that seems to be what I remember.....
John

Posted on: 2017/11/10 9:31
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved