Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 78

Jack Vines, su8overdrive, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Exhaust manifold Heat Riser Question
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Chuck M McDonald
See User information
My exhaust manifold is missing the exhaust manifold riser weight and did not permit the flapper to open resulting in the insulator spacer that Max Merritt sells between the carburetor to intake manifold to melt, the spring holds the flapper in the closed position and when the spring expands the weight on opposite end of the shaft provides enough weight to open the flapper all the way, so what is my question? I just removed the spring and turned the shaft in the rotation that moves the shaft to the open position which is clockwise on the weighted end of the shaft, my question is when in this position is the flapper in the fully open position? the only way to see the flapper is to remove the pipe or entire intake manifold and I really do not want to do that.

Posted on: 2017/11/13 12:54
Yesterday I purchase
 Top  Print   

Re: Exhaust manifold Heat Riser Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The function is that when cold, the coiled bimetallic spring provides enough tension to hold the counterweight UP and in this position the valve is closed. As the spring warms up it relaxes (uncoils) from the heat, allowing the counterweight to drop down and thus opening the valve.

Posted on: 2017/11/13 13:15
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Chuck M McDonald
See User information
Yes, I feel better now I know that it is locked in the open position. Thank you

Posted on: 2017/11/13 13:25
Yesterday I purchase
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Maybe Dave or someone can verify if these images are correct for operation of the heat control valve.

Also a service letter reprint on the manifold heat control valve/heat riser says: The valve sticking in the open position will cause slow engine warm up, excessive spitting and sluggish engine operation when cold. A valve sticking in the closed position will cause overheating, loss of power, hard starting when hot, and may also cause warped or cracked manifolds. Sticking in either position will adversely affect fuel economy.

EDIT I keep looking at this and thinking I have my spring on backwards or something. The manifolds are being planed, but before we put them on the block I'd like to be sure we have this set up correctly.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.91 KB)
1067_5a0a2bd94e709.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (71.72 KB)
1067_5a0a2be4cbfc6.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2017/11/13 18:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved