Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 109

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

Re: New member, setting off on a crazy adventure... PICS!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I'm with the other guys and say you should ship it or haul it yourself. There is a good chance the rubber hoses are going to be bad and the wipers probably won't work. That will make travel in bad weather or even just sprinkles very dangerous!

Posted on: 2017/11/23 20:19
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
Great thoughts on your suggestion. I'd strongly recommend that you ship it and have your first white knuckle drive from your house. I'd much rather be 10 miles from home if the unexpected occurs.

Posted on: 2017/11/24 7:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I'd hate to be in traffic with you coming over some steep mountain passes with a car that hasnt been thoroughly checked and had important parts replaced or repaired.

Posted on: 2017/11/24 8:19
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mustangduckk
See User information
Ok a couple updates:

-I've ordered a bunch of parts, they're on their way now.

-I have a backup plan if we can't get it safely running.

-We're still going with Plan A, drive it back, if at all possible.

-We arrive to the car on Dec 15th

Now a couple hurdles you guys might be able to assist:

-I was going to order this battery and have it shipped to the local O'Rielleys. However O'Rielleys is saying its a few weeks for delivery, and we're only two weeks out. Does anyone know a source for a compatible 6V battery that is readily available?

-The starter motor is an issue. Kanter can't deliver in time, and the other place wanted over $400 for the starter. I have a solenoid on the way. Is the starter on these something that a normal starter shop can rebuild, or is the age and 6v something that will keep them from doing that? I can maybe talk someone on the farm in Oregon into pulling the starter off and having it rebuilt and ready for us when we get there if that is realistic.

Posted on: 2017/12/1 12:11
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is a standard Autolite or Delco starter used by many other cars at the time so any competent auto electric shop should be able to handle it. Big difference between starters is how they mount to the engine. If the cast iron nose piece end is damaged that could be Packard specific. The issue with modern shops is the age and whether they have brushes or if needed, 6v field coils in stock. If there is an old established shop that does farm work they should have parts available.

The issue with the battery is getting a modern one to fit in the tray -- particularly if they have the extra lips at the bottom for a mounting clip. Don't remember the number but I know several have bought them off the shelf for the 51-4 so surprising it takes so long to get one shipped. Do a search of the forums and am sure there will be some numbers mentioned. If all else fails you could get an Optima 6v. Those will fit and have greater CCA capacity than the ordinary lead acid. The tie down will be a problem but you can get the bottom clips and drill the tray for a bolt or two for those fasteners.

What ever you get pay attention to the battery capacity, battery cables and connections. 6v is absolutely unforgiving of too small a battery cable, a dirty connection or a weak battery. Anything that drops the coil voltage down significantly so that the coil is seeing closer to 5 volts instead of 6v during cranking will make the spark very weak and may not be able to jump the plug gap. If you need battery cables check they are 0 or better yet 00 gauge. Cables sold in modern stores labeled as 6v are frequently too small for the load of the starter turning that long engine and will drop the voltage across the board.

Posted on: 2017/12/1 12:40
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
The starter should not be difficult to remove. On my 40 it's 2 bolts and wiggle it out of the housing. It's heavy. Someone with a 54 could better advise.

http://www.philbingroup.com/about_us.htm

Philbin electric 28 N Russell St Portland can rebuilt it. They just did my distributor and generator. I think you'd need to give them a week.

Someone near Salem may know of a closer place to Mollala for DC motor rebuilding.

Empire Battery is in Tigard south of Portland close to I-5 and in Salem. They have heavy duty commercial 6v batteries on the shelf at a reasonable price.
http://www.empirebatteriesor.com

EDIT The 54 may require different dimensions than the ones I've bought at Empire. This one is 6-3/4" wide, 10" long and 7-3/4" high. But check with them for the size you need.

Attach file:

jpg  (203.11 KB)
1067_5a219713e62bd.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/12/1 12:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The OEM battery was a Group 2, Group 2 batteries are readily available and any decent auto parts store should be able to have one available within 24 hours. Standard dimensions for Group 2 are 10-3/8 long, 7-1/8 wide, and 9-3/8 high.

Posted on: 2017/12/1 13:03
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mustangduckk
See User information
Any CCA or other specs I should be looking for, or just any 6v top post Group 2 battery?

Edit to add: a store local to the car has a East Penn 6v Group 2, 2-30 675 CCA I think she said. Will that work?

Posted on: 2017/12/1 14:13
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sure, that battery will do just fine. Clean connections and cables at least O gauge are of prime importance. If you need, many welding supply houses can make new battery cables and if you go that route, then I'd opt for OO gauge just for a little extra margin. And bright, clean connections doesn't mean just at the battery end of the cables.

As to your starter motor, as others have said, unless it's been abused all that is typically needed is to turn the armature, undercut the mica, and install new brushes and maybe brush springs, and a bushing or bearing or two. It's rare that field coils need replacement. You should have no problem finding a local shop to rebuild the starter with a fast turnaround.

Posted on: 2017/12/1 14:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With 6v you are going to be limited to the fact that not many CCA capacities are there to choose from that can fit in the group 2 dimensions of the tray. I am of the belief that you are better getting the largest capacity battery you can find that can fit and 675 may be about it in regular lead acid batteries. The Optima is the largest at about 800 CCA that can fit but is more expensive and in your face as far as looks. They also don't like a fast or high current charging.

The starter when turning a large inline 8 can pull in the range of 400+ amps so the more amp capacity the better and the need for larger battery cables than what todays parts stores sell as 6v meant more for use with the smaller sixes of the time. If you crank for a bit and run the battery down slightly with the crank then fiddle and crank again scenario that most go thru when trying to start a long sitting car you have a bit more reserve with a larger battery. That is one other thing to remember -- starting motors are intermittent so crank maybe 30 seconds or so then fiddle and let the starter sit and cool a bit. A long continuous period of cranking can damage the starter motor. Also, with a lot of cranking and no starting the plugs may foul with moisture from the raw gas so you may need to pull and clean them a time or two.

Another thing you might want to think about having is some kind of 6v battery charger because after sitting all this time, if it fires without a lot of cranking and rechecking and more cranking and fiddling the battery can easily run down. Once it does the spark gets weak and makes things that much more difficult.

Posted on: 2017/12/1 15:57
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved