Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 132

Tobs, Jack Vines, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 Patrician repairs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Just last week (Dec 8, 2017) I got my 55 Pat back from a local high quality custom & classic repair shop (Top Notch Repair, Pahrump, NV). It's the first set of problems I've had with it since March 2001 when I bought it. The repaired problems were:

1) Original rear axle assembly had a couple of problems, to wit: (a) D-side outside bearing broke and tore up the outer axle and oil seal. (b) The center section had developed a serious whine due to a leaking pinion lube seal which allowed the lube level to get too low at one time. This low level probably burned up bearing(s) or R&P or ?.

2) The 3-prong brake light switch broke the plastic top which caused brake fluid to leak out. This was a Volkswagen replacement switch.

I talked to my friend Paul in Las Vegas and because things I had done for him, he volunteered the entire rear end assembly out of a 55 Patrician parts car he had if I would come over and remove it...which I and a couple of friends did.

Because I'm getting too old for this sort of swap, I had the local shop do the swap. The used replacement rear end assy from Paul was excellent. I had the shop also do a drum brake overhaul on it at the same time. The front is a disc brake conversion and needed no attention.

I had the shop replace the 3-prong switch with a standard 2-prong one because I have the T-L auto-level box removed (another story) and my Pat is converted to fully manual T-L control.

This info is just FYI. Something eventually breaks on these great old Packards, although it seems pretty rare. My Pat is driving great again with no noises from the rear end.

Craig

Posted on: 2017/12/11 2:04
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved