Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 81

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Removing exhaust manifold from '49 Custom 8
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

prentice672
See User information
Anybody have tips on how to do this. Are the exhaust and intake manifold one unit? Can I just remove the carb and the four bolts attaching the exhaust pipe and then the bolts to the manifold, or is there more to it than that?
I'm trying to decide if it's something I can realistically do myself, or should I bring to a shop? Thanks.

Ron

Posted on: 2017/12/9 22:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Removing exhaust manifold from '49 Custom 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Yes they are one unit. Remove the carb, exhaust and various lines. Remove the nuts that secure it to the block. Pull the manifold assy about 1 1/2" away from the block, then up till it hits the bottom of the heater box, then forward and out.

Posted on: 2017/12/9 23:00
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

prentice672
See User information
Thanks.

Posted on: 2017/12/11 17:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I would suggest that you use an engine hoist or two strong friends, also put all kinds of padding on the fender. IT IS HEAVY !

Posted on: 2017/12/11 19:46

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

prentice672
See User information
Thanks for the tips. I ended up keeping the carb on, disconnecting the throttle linkage, fuel and vacuum tubing to the carb, the big vacuum tube to the electromatic clutch, the shroud over the fuel pump and the tubing to the fuel pump, and removing the drain tube on the bottom of the intake manifold. Then you can remove the eight or so nuts that hold the whole unit on the block. It's possible to get a 9/16 box wrench on all of them, although it's a time consuming job. I was able to lift it out myself, but if I had to do it again I'd get somebody to help me. I had my son help me re-install it. All in all it wasn't that difficult, I don't think I swore once (really). And the good thing was that it fixed the problem of a funny tappet-like noise the engine had been making.

Posted on: 2018/1/13 23:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved