Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: 56 Rear Torque Arm Bushiongs
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dwight Heinmuller
See User information
The polyurethane is not more "rigid" than rubber. It has the same Durometer (hardness) value as rubber. The difference between the two is "compression set." Poly is more resistant to compression than rubber, and will, therefore, hold it's shape far longer. Dwight Heinmuller

Posted on: 2017/12/19 13:39
Dwight
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dwight Heinmuller
See User information
Hi Howard: Thanks for your comments. The problem with making the front bushings with polyurethane is that the poly will not adhere properly to the metal shells. It therefore will be useless because it will not absorb rotational forces, or in other words, it will not resist the up and down movement of the front suspension a-arms, or jounce and rebound. Using original type rubber bushings will work well, IF the exposed areas of the rubber are coated with liquid Neoprene (Permatex brand "Liquid Electrical Tape." Using my new poly bushings in the rear solves the ride height problem, and other problems such as "swimming," although all of the bushings, front and rear, must be in excellent condition to avoid swimming. I recommend a complete overhaul of the Torsion Level suspension, including replacement of all F&R bushings, Watts Linkage bushings and new KYB shocks. If only part is done, the results will be unsatisfactory. Torque specs are included with the suspension bushing kits I sell. Dwight Heinmuller

Posted on: 2017/12/19 13:48
Dwight
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Dwight:

That was a great article you wrote in the latest Cormorant. I think you know more about post-war Packards than practically anyone around. I plan to use your article on the Torsion-Level to get my Clipper back to where it belongs. Thank you!

Posted on: 2017/12/20 14:48
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Feedback.

Anyone using gas shocks on the rear.?.

I am.. And they are no good...and its not bushings.

The rear has no grab.. Push it down and it bounces..

When you push down it should stay down. Firm.. Push it down with gas shocks. And you have spongy up and down..not tl up and down

Like no shocks at all.. I have to turn off system on the freeway cause it goes off and on all the time...and it never did that before.

Posted on: 2018/4/18 10:42
Riki
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved