Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
53 user(s) are online (37 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 50

37Blanche, West Peterson, colin voice, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Me thinking - a dangerous thing
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Has anyone built or even contemplated a custom overhead valve head for a L eight? They made aluminum finned flat heads. They "routinely" make billet aluminum heads for V8 racing applications, and it would only be a bigger hunk of metal and machine job to make one in line. There would have to be some manipulation for an overhead cam but might solve the problem of adding mucho boost to a flat head. not sure but possible one could rework block sealing and make a stronger flat head to do the same.
The HP/weight gain would have to justify the $$. You start off very low, 130/800, or so. It's more like 0.5 min. in SBC land. Probably could light weight the block a bit. But should torq up a storm. Might just blow the old rings out of their grooves too.
It came in a dream...well, maybe a nightmare?
Tossed it on the wall for pro or cons?

Posted on: 2017/12/27 16:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Me thinking - a dangerous thing
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure about a 288/327 block but you might check out a 356 project blog at the PAC site.http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2411

Posted on: 2017/12/27 16:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Thanks for the link Howard, that is quite an undertaking....

John

Posted on: 2017/12/27 17:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That engine has been running for some time now and is soon to be installed in a '36 120 touring coupe. The work is being done by a long-time friend of mine. Let me know if you want contact info.

Posted on: 2017/12/27 18:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
The advantages of the OHV and OHC is better breathing at higher RPMs. Just how many RPMs do we think those gargantuan long stroke crank/rods/pistons will be happy turning?

JMHO, but I'd spend my time and money on a couple of turbochargers. They make horsepower at low RPMs.

jack vines

Posted on: 2017/12/27 20:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Jack, my friend (who IMO has entirely too much time on his hands) undertook this primarily as a challenge to his intellect and machine shop skills. He's done his share of big block brute monsters and just wanted something different. Always been a Packard guy, had several prewar Twelves.

Posted on: 2017/12/27 20:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Hmmm ... I wonder what would happen if I installed a supercharger on my 352 cid V8, ditched the carburetor for fuel injection, installed a Clay Smith racing cam, pulled out the Twin Ultramatic and replaced it with 5-speed manual, and changed out the rear end?

Ooops! I know what would happen! I would be turning my stock Clipper into a street rod!

I don't think I'd be welcome in this site after that!

Posted on: 2017/12/28 12:40
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
JMHO, but I think you'd own the nicest Clipper ever; but on that slippery slope, you'd need to swap in a '56 Caribbean engine.

jack vines

Posted on: 2017/12/28 18:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
WOW, thanks Howard. Just goes to show there's nothing new under the sun. I'd like to know how much he actually achieved HP/weight?
I guess if you're truly old school hot rod, you start with parts off something else. Fascinating these machinist geniuses, they can do anything. I visited with a commercial shop owner guy looking to buy his house, and he made a 4 gang rotary tow behind mower with V8 for his on lot golf "course". Envy of the neighborhood when you pull out that bad boy for your 0.25 acre burb lawn. I'd put one of those big fans on it so I'd blow the clippings on the neighbors yard! Everyone else goes to TSC, HT, or HF for Chinese "take out".
I was thinking engineer it, then CNC on a billet, but you have to have good dimensions of what you got. I'd rather just give $30K to Falconer for that alum turbo V12, but I'm too cheap. This whole indecisive motor issue has stopped my P project cold, not to mention the Cad taking precedence. The longer it takes the more I think things. That's half the fun...or is it agony or like fine wine?
I'd use my 288 for a stationary motor, but I have nothing to run with it. Otherwise, it's a garage space eater. As noted years ago, it's not worth much by itself and too big to put on a shelf, too good to junk.
Something to think about to anyone contemplating modifying a post war L8 based bathtub. Pick your motor first. If it came without a motor, I'd been better off.

Posted on: 2017/12/30 10:38
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved