Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 92

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard paints
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
I was just on the phone with Ross Miller who is doing some major work on the engine compartment of my 55 400.One of the jobs he is doing is painting the engine compartment Sardonyx I ordered the paint from Bill Flannery auto.Ross said they botched the paint; that when he opened the can it was closer to an orange!Ross said he was able to tint it and fix it.Needless to say I will not be going back to Bill Flannery for more.Can anyone recommend a paint supplier who is competent to match the color? By the way I left the factory paint chip chart with Flannery overnight so he could make a perfect match!

Posted on: 2017/12/30 9:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard paints
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You don't say what type of paint you want, but if it's acrylic lacquer you can get exact match from Bill Hirsch.

Posted on: 2017/12/30 11:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And also how much had the chip faded or color shifted. The small paper square isn't much to get a good reference from and they can age quite badly if storage conditions are not good. Even if you have a perfect match to the chip, the car could have faded or shifted and if the new paint based off a chip is used for touchup next to existing paint a mismatch could be very noticeable. Some of the red based colors are very prone to color shifting as they age.

Posted on: 2017/12/30 11:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
I would prefer so polyurethane paint since my other car a 1965 Olds was painted this way 20 years ago and still looks great.

Posted on: 2017/12/30 11:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Are the 55 paint codes available for paint stores to mix?

Posted on: 2017/12/30 13:27
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Alvin14
See User information
Good question LTRD. Wondered the same thing.
Alvin 14

Posted on: 2017/12/30 16:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I have had good success with TCP Global both in matching samples that I have sent them and the quality of their house paint. While they cannot tell you that it is PPG after being in their warehouse and spotting pallet piled three drums high of PPG products and talking to individuals there, I'm certain that it is. Their prices are very nice also.

To determine what type of paint you currently have, go to ID Auto Paint.

In addition, I think PPG was the paint supplier then for Packard. They might be able to give TCP a current equivalent formula for the 1995 car colors.

Good Luck and keep us updated.

Posted on: 2018/1/4 13:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In addition, I think PPG was the paint supplier then for Packard.

Packard's OEM paint supplier was R-M (Rinshed-Mason), at least from the early 30s thru 1956.

Posted on: 2018/1/4 14:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I've use Hibernia with excellent results.

Posted on: 2018/1/4 14:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Marston wrote:
I have had good success with TCP Global both in matching samples that I have sent them and the quality of their house paint. While they cannot tell you that it is PPG after being in their warehouse and spotting pallet piled three drums high of PPG products and talking to individuals there, I'm certain that it is. Their prices are very nice also.

To determine what type of paint you currently have, go to ID Auto Paint.

In addition, I think PPG was the paint supplier then for Packard. They might be able to give TCP a current equivalent formula for the 1995 car colors.

Good Luck and keep us updated.

The OEM paint supplier for all V8 Packards was definitely Rinshed-Mason. PPG wasn't such a big player on OEM paints back then... more in glass.

A friend of mine who worked at Packard said that Ditzler occasionally supplied some products in a pinch. Again... nitro-cellulose lacquer.

Rinshed-Mason supplied Packard with nitro-cellulose lacquer. It seems most folks today are not familiar with either R-M or n-c lacquer... but that was the premium paint of the day. You will notice that the "educational" link does not even mention nitro-cellulose lacquer. As if acrylic was it and all. Which shows how far back the memories go for the folks putting these things together today go. This is how history slowly gets bent in whole new directions it never was.

And as I have posted before here, find me an old Packard with nitro-cellulose lacquer that has not worn through or gone to either solid surface rust or extreme lacquer-crackle... and I'll make it shine like new money. Seriously hardy stuff.

By the way... the huge R-M plant was just north of the East Grand Blvd. Packard Plant in Detroit. It was located on the Mt. Elliott-Conant tributaries heading north. Huge factory, had a bright orange and black bridge that connected two of the main buildings and overhung the street. Amazing to see and smell at night. Said "R-M RINSHED-MASON" on the sides of the connector bridge and was nicely lit up at night. As you got close to the plant, the aroma of lacquer hung heavy in the air at night. But that was a long time ago...

Posted on: 2018/1/4 18:58
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved