Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 151

Joe, Don B, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil filter for a 1950 Packard Deluxe Club
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

GDurgin
See User information
Dear fellow Packard owners,

Could you please share with me the oil filter numbers and names of some common manufacturers of the cartridge oil filter. Also, I came across an earlier thread about the best oil to use. The old manuals suggest 20 SAE or 20W. Suggestions? I just purchased the car and haven't yet run any tests on the 288 cid motor, which is the original. Thanks.

Guillermo
Oakland, CA

Posted on: 2018/1/2 23:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil filter for a 1950 Packard Deluxe Club
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Welcome to the forum.

If it has the factory style canister on the side of the block a Napa 1080 or Wix 51080 should fit. The other parts stores should be able to cross one of those numbers to the brands they carry. Filters were an option at the time and there were many aftermarket filter setups available so if something else has been installed you will need to take the old one and see if a parts store can match it.

20 weight might be OK for the freezing east coast right now but sounds a bit low for our west coast climate. I would start with 30 and if the engine is worn it may even need a higher viscosity.

Others may have different opinions and experiences but just my opinion, If you do not know any history and what is in there now or how much sludge is built up I would try a non detergent oil for the first change. If there is any kind of lube sticker or paperwork saying it has had detergent oil then I would carry on with that. Suddenly introducing a cleaning agent into a heavily sludged engine can cause the crap to break away and clog an oil passage.

It has been suggested to remove the oil pan and clean it before starting a long sitting or unknown engine to be sure of the condition but that is somewhat of a process and others have not found it necessary. When you drain the oil you might be able to get an idea of how much sludge has built up by inserting a thick stiff wire or rod in the drain opening a few inches and see how much sticks to the wire or wants to drain out.

Posted on: 2018/1/3 0:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

GDurgin
See User information
Thanks, for the reply Howard. I'll let you know how it goes.

-Guillermo

Posted on: 2018/1/3 0:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Guillermo(GDurgin),
to PaxkardInfo and I invite you to include your '50 Deluxe Club Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2018/1/3 3:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Guillermo, I made some videos on removing the oil pan for a 47 which would be very close to yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uyrBl3oq0I

Hope this helps!
Wes

Posted on: 2018/1/3 9:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Guillermo,
for including your '50 Deluxe Eight Club Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry. Looking good!

Posted on: 2018/2/1 5:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved